Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 14 month old son will not stop hitting! HELP!

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM
  • 8 Replies
For the past month Markus has been hitting a lot! He does it when he's mad and will just randomly do it and laugh. I have taken him by the hand, at his level and told him we dont hit, we are nice. And I will show him gentle touch and say "be nice". He will hug us and be sweet but he does this so much. I feel like a broken record. But any other ideas on how to break this bad habit?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Amiehart62
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Redirect. A one minute timeout. You can roll up a couple of pieces of paper and hit your hand when he does it...it's loud and might scare him into not doing it. Sad to say but think about how you would train a dog....same concept.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM
I dont think a timeout will work because he doesn't understand that concept at this age. But I will try redirection! I was thinking that a book on being nice would be a good way to redirect. Everytime he hits, we get that book and read it together.

Quoting Amiehart62:

Redirect. A one minute timeout. You can roll up a couple of pieces of paper and hit your hand when he does it...it's loud and might scare him into not doing it. Sad to say but think about how you would train a dog....same concept.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amiehart62
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM
He will at the very least understand that if he hits he will have to sit down.....don't underestimate him!!! They're very smart!!! You could also demonstrate on your SO/DH he may not know what the word means.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

I dont think a timeout will work because he doesn't understand that concept at this age. But I will try redirection! I was thinking that a book on being nice would be a good way to redirect. Everytime he hits, we get that book and read it together.

Quoting Amiehart62:

soulofsunmama
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
He's a baby, he's not going to understand much, and he's not *trying* to hurt, this IS his communication right now, add to that, he doesn't understand his own strength or force.
Just keep being a broken record, yes you may say it several hundred times, before he understands, but HE. WILL. GET. IT.
Redirection is key!
Rationality in our heads is NOT what's going on in his.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM
True. I could give it a try, see what happens.
I know he understands what be nice means because he will hug us when we tell him to be nice. But I will def try your advice. Thank you. :)

Quoting Amiehart62:

He will at the very least understand that if he hits he will have to sit down.....don't underestimate him!!! They're very smart!!! You could also demonstrate on your SO/DH he may not know what the word means.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Quoting Amiehart62:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amiehart62
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM
You're welcome. It's hard at that age. Sometimes just your tone will correct as well.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

True. I could give it a try, see what happens.

I know he understands what be nice means because he will hug us when we tell him to be nice. But I will def try your advice. Thank you. :)

Quoting Amiehart62:

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Quoting Amiehart62:

katiehopson
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Sour Patch Kid ass!

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I agree with timeout. I worked in daycares for years and we started time out at a year old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured