Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People who smoke are not good parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This belief is what kept me from smoking. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant and never smoked again. I view (for myself) that smoking would make me less of a parent.

1. A parent who can not effectively handle stress without the aid of a drug, will not be able to teach her children to do so

2. A parent who willingly shortens their lifespan, despite being a parent, is placing instant gratification above the needs of her children

3. A parent who smokes knowing the likelihood that her smoking will lead her child to smoke in the future, is putting her addiction above the health of her child.

Now I imagine that some of you will get defensive over this post, and many of you will even make excuses as to how you can smoke and these statements don't apply to you. At the end of the day, it makes no difference how an internet stranger views your decisions. I posted this because it keeps me from smoking, and maybe someone will read it, take it to heart and it will keep them from smoking too.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM
4 moms liked this
This!
No one is as uptight about smoking than the people that have quit.

Quoting Fields456:

Former smokers are worse than non-smokers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aloysious
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Opinions are like belly buttons-everyone has one and every one thinks theirs is the best.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM
4 moms liked this

overeating?

Quoting Anonymous:

Here's the thing. There are lots of things out there that MIGHT cause cancer. To try to avoid all of them would be impossible. However, there is one, completely unnecessary thing that people choose to do when we know FOR SURE that it causes cancer, plus a bunch of other nasty stuff that kills you. And that thing happens to be...what was it again...

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok well I hope then you dont do any of the billion thinks that could cause cancer or shorten your lifespan. Since you are so much better than a smoker you know....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Im not arguing with that...However if you are going to claim to be better than someone you sure as hell should make sure you are pretty damn near perfect.

Quoting Anonymous:

Here's the thing. There are lots of things out there that MIGHT cause cancer. To try to avoid all of them would be impossible. However, there is one, completely unnecessary thing that people choose to do when we know FOR SURE that it causes cancer, plus a bunch of other nasty stuff that kills you. And that thing happens to be...what was it again...

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok well I hope then you dont do any of the billion thinks that could cause cancer or shorten your lifespan. Since you are so much better than a smoker you know....

white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM

My parents Smoke they still do I never did smoke nor do I Now . my SO smokes and he is a wounderful father !!

Teacher101
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM
9 moms liked this

Oh and there are different kinds of smokers. For example, I don't smoke around my children and I don't smoke during my workday. Therefore, my students don't see me smoking and my kids only see me if they come outside to where I am at while I am smoking. I have also explained addiction to them and why they should never start smoking. They understand it is a hard thing to quit and can see through my experiences that they don't want to start.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM
4 moms liked this

my belly button is the best o.O it's like a portal to another world, pretty sure....

Quoting Aloysious:

Opinions are like belly buttons-everyone has one and every one thinks theirs is the best.

singlemom1208
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Well good for you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh well. I think about quitting all the time, but I guess I don't have the right motivation. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM
26 moms liked this

As a person who works with children and has to file reports on abuse and neglect. I can assure you that plenty of non-smoking parents are terrible parents. I can also assure you that I have worked with parents who smoke who are wonderful parents.

Therefore your generalization is deeply flawed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)