Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People who smoke are not good parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This belief is what kept me from smoking. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant and never smoked again. I view (for myself) that smoking would make me less of a parent.

1. A parent who can not effectively handle stress without the aid of a drug, will not be able to teach her children to do so

2. A parent who willingly shortens their lifespan, despite being a parent, is placing instant gratification above the needs of her children

3. A parent who smokes knowing the likelihood that her smoking will lead her child to smoke in the future, is putting her addiction above the health of her child.

Now I imagine that some of you will get defensive over this post, and many of you will even make excuses as to how you can smoke and these statements don't apply to you. At the end of the day, it makes no difference how an internet stranger views your decisions. I posted this because it keeps me from smoking, and maybe someone will read it, take it to heart and it will keep them from smoking too.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (231-240):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Um, ok then. You sound kinda bitchy.

Why should you all care about what other people choose to do?

I know you will spout off "second had smoke" blah blah blah.

Not all smokers are disrespectful of the nons. My dh smokes and does not smoke in doorways or big crowds.

And jut how do you make them know why you are honking your horn. Are your children in the car with you? How is your road rage safer for your kids than smoking?

I think your attitude makes you selfish, irresponsible and disgusting.

Quoting Ali5683:

Agreed!! Smokers piss me off. They're inconsiderate of those around them since the majority end up smoking right next to doorways and big crowds. No one else wants your secondhand smoke. I get in verbal fights over this quite a bit!!

Biggest pet peeve ever is when I see someone smoking in their car with children inside!! I will honk my horn and make it known why. THAT is selfish, irresponsible and disgusting!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I was going to say something like that. People take drugs for depression, so I guess their bad parents too (that's sarcasm in case people don't understand)

Quoting dkrmlr:

Ever notice how a lot of moms who don't smoke, take Prozac.....wonder what thats all about lol

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM
They just tend to be more judgmental And pushy towards smokers I'm not sure if it is because they are still battling their own addiction or if it is since they were able/wanted to quit everyone else should too.

Quoting guyergirl12:

Just curious, but why do u say that??

Quoting Fields456:

Former smokers are worse than non-smokers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiew2012
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I'd like to see your hard, non-opinion, sources.

I think the media is far from unbiased and the "news" reports things like you have just said, in order to make us believe them.

I prefer going to the sources rather than reguritating the news.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

4. A parent who smokes exposes his/her child to 2nd hand and 3rd hand smoke, which is proven to cause health issues like middle ear infections, respitory problems like asthma and 2nd hand smoke has been known to cause lung cancer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katie, proud wife of a railroader, and a future mother-to-be! 

I only reply if I've been quoted, or I happen to look and see a response. So, if you want to discuss with me, please quote me. :) Thank-you and good day!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM
It doesn't exclude fathers. When you read about your pregnancy and the say "your baby is 8 weeks old, he is the size of a bean " it doesn't mean your having a boy. If you generalize gender at the beginning of a sentence you can use specific gender pronouns.

Quoting katiew2012:

You use the word parent and then say "her." A parent who smokes.... her children. That excludes fathers. *shrugs* just trying to understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

The whole post says parents.

Quoting katiew2012:

What about fathers? You said "parent" however your entire post was about the mother.

I'm curious, not hating.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm thankful I grew up in a nonsmoking home. I'm also thankful I'm not on any meds for ANYTHING.
annasew
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

says the judgemental bitch hiding behind the anon button.   There is no value to your words if you have to hide to say them or type them.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Yah they don't know any better.

Quoting annasew:

Ok thanks for your opinion.   My kids think I am the best mom in the world even tho I smoke.     

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Why so you have justification to continue to smoke around your children?  

Quoting katiew2012:

I'd like to see your hard, non-opinion, sources.

I think the media is far from unbiased and the "news" reports things like you have just said, in order to make us believe them.

I prefer going to the sources rather than reguritating the news.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

4. A parent who smokes exposes his/her child to 2nd hand and 3rd hand smoke, which is proven to cause health issues like middle ear infections, respitory problems like asthma and 2nd hand smoke has been known to cause lung cancer.

Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM

LMAO Wow!!

Just like the orginal post said "people will get defensive." Yes, I honk my horn and make a smoking gesture pointing at the children in the back. 99% of the time it's at a red light and I don't say anything since they can't hear me anyway.

When I see someone smoking in a doorway (like Target, Walmart, etc.) or in a crowd of people I always say something like "could you please move away from the door (or crowd) to smoke?" Even though I am nice about it to begin with, I have had people blow smoke in my face, call me names and be just complete assholes. So yes, because my experience of smokers has been that they don't give a shit when I am clearly nice to begin with, I think they're all selfish.

I've smoked maybe 3 cigarettes in my entire life. My mom was a chain smoker and blew it in my face as a kid. I hate smokers!!! It's a disgusting habit that makes people stink and takes years off of your life.

My attitude doesn't make me selfish, irresponsbile or disgusting. It makes me smart and healthy. I am a very blunt person and have a very hard time holding back. I use tact and do my best to be respectful but there are some cases where the absolutely stupid people will get my bitchy side.

Quoting Anonymous:

Um, ok then. You sound kinda bitchy.

Why should you all care about what other people choose to do?

I know you will spout off "second had smoke" blah blah blah.

Not all smokers are disrespectful of the nons. My dh smokes and does not smoke in doorways or big crowds.

And jut how do you make them know why you are honking your horn. Are your children in the car with you? How is your road rage safer for your kids than smoking?

I think your attitude makes you selfish, irresponsible and disgusting.

Quoting Ali5683:

Agreed!! Smokers piss me off. They're inconsiderate of those around them since the majority end up smoking right next to doorways and big crowds. No one else wants your secondhand smoke. I get in verbal fights over this quite a bit!!

Biggest pet peeve ever is when I see someone smoking in their car with children inside!! I will honk my horn and make it known why. THAT is selfish, irresponsible and disgusting!!

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Eh, my mum is an excellent parent... I don't smoke, never have. She didn't smoke because of stress... it was the cool thing to do when she was younger. 

I think you are way too judgemental.. and that is also passed down to children, which is bad as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)