Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People who smoke are not good parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This belief is what kept me from smoking. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant and never smoked again. I view (for myself) that smoking would make me less of a parent.

1. A parent who can not effectively handle stress without the aid of a drug, will not be able to teach her children to do so

2. A parent who willingly shortens their lifespan, despite being a parent, is placing instant gratification above the needs of her children

3. A parent who smokes knowing the likelihood that her smoking will lead her child to smoke in the future, is putting her addiction above the health of her child.

Now I imagine that some of you will get defensive over this post, and many of you will even make excuses as to how you can smoke and these statements don't apply to you. At the end of the day, it makes no difference how an internet stranger views your decisions. I posted this because it keeps me from smoking, and maybe someone will read it, take it to heart and it will keep them from smoking too.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Cigarettes?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TSNDDY
by Emerald Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM
3 moms liked this
I read your title and was immediately ready to argue! then I read your post and couldn't disagree.

I quit smoking when my DD was a baby though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM
9 moms liked this
Do you drink? What about caffeine, do you drink that?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM
7 moms liked this
Esp when their kids always smell like smoke. Disgusting!
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM
*yawn*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM
23 moms liked this

my moms a heavy smoker, always has been.  shes an excellent parent. and she raised two non smokers too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM
21 moms liked this

No one is a good parent. We are all fuck ups, and you know what? Anyone can think of reasons why they are better than others, but baby, the mirror reflects all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM
10 moms liked this

I have smoked and not smoked during my 8 years as a parent. Can't say it made me better or worse. I also work as a public school teacher and devote my life to educating high school kids. Being a smoker has not made me any less of a teacher. 

You are wrong. 

Congratulations on not smoking though. Good for you.

dkrmlr
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM
22 moms liked this

Ever notice how a lot of moms who don't smoke, take Prozac.....wonder what thats all about lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM
8 moms liked this
Here's the thing. There are lots of things out there that MIGHT cause cancer. To try to avoid all of them would be impossible. However, there is one, completely unnecessary thing that people choose to do when we know FOR SURE that it causes cancer, plus a bunch of other nasty stuff that kills you. And that thing happens to be...what was it again...

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok well I hope then you dont do any of the billion thinks that could cause cancer or shorten your lifespan. Since you are so much better than a smoker you know....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN