Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People who smoke are not good parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This belief is what kept me from smoking. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant and never smoked again. I view (for myself) that smoking would make me less of a parent.

1. A parent who can not effectively handle stress without the aid of a drug, will not be able to teach her children to do so

2. A parent who willingly shortens their lifespan, despite being a parent, is placing instant gratification above the needs of her children

3. A parent who smokes knowing the likelihood that her smoking will lead her child to smoke in the future, is putting her addiction above the health of her child.

Now I imagine that some of you will get defensive over this post, and many of you will even make excuses as to how you can smoke and these statements don't apply to you. At the end of the day, it makes no difference how an internet stranger views your decisions. I posted this because it keeps me from smoking, and maybe someone will read it, take it to heart and it will keep them from smoking too.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Yes, over eating can cause heart disease like smoking. I would say the cancer rate is a lot lower than smoking, though...

Quoting Anonymous:

overeating?

Quoting Anonymous:

Here's the thing. There are lots of things out there that MIGHT cause cancer. To try to avoid all of them would be impossible. However, there is one, completely unnecessary thing that people choose to do when we know FOR SURE that it causes cancer, plus a bunch of other nasty stuff that kills you. And that thing happens to be...what was it again...

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok well I hope then you dont do any of the billion thinks that could cause cancer or shorten your lifespan. Since you are so much better than a smoker you know....

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM

AGREE.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you, 110%!!!!

I hate the 'I need it to handle stress' crap.  Be a good example to your kids and find a healthy hobby to deal with stress!

MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Agree
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM
4 moms liked this

Thank you for reminding me of my shortcomings as a parent. 

Even though you know, as a previous smoker, how difficult it is to quit. And if you try to say its not, then i know you are just a troll looking for drama. 

I have been quitting. I have cut down from 2packs a day INSIDE my house, to half a pack a day OUTSIDE my house. I have stopped some of my triggers (such as driving, or first thing in the morning) 

and you have the GALL to tell me that i am a bad parent, because some how, you think you are better than me?

you have a good night. I hope you find peace with yourself someday.

AylinsMom
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're gonna smoke...smoke OUTSIDE. I lived in a house where 4 people smoked. I think this is why I have diagnosed rosacea. You're skin breathes in that stuff and ruins capillaries. Interestingly, I never smoked. Through observational learning, I learned it was gross.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM
3 moms liked this
i have never given this much thought to another person's habits.

you're obviously still pretty hung up on smoking, even if you don't do it because you've devoted this much time to describing WHY you are against it and why you are a superior parent to those that DO smoke.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
That doesn't make sense at all. I'm nowhere near perfect, but I can read a million news stories about people doing horrible things to their children and know I'm a better parent. Like that YouTube video of that Asian woman beating her baby...I decided I was a better mom than her in about 14 seconds!

Quoting Anonymous:

Im not arguing with that...However if you are going to claim to be better than someone you sure as hell should make sure you are pretty damn near perfect.

Quoting Anonymous:

Here's the thing. There are lots of things out there that MIGHT cause cancer. To try to avoid all of them would be impossible. However, there is one, completely unnecessary thing that people choose to do when we know FOR SURE that it causes cancer, plus a bunch of other nasty stuff that kills you. And that thing happens to be...what was it again...

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok well I hope then you dont do any of the billion thinks that could cause cancer or shorten your lifespan. Since you are so much better than a smoker you know....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Then in that sense you are a better parent because you don't beat your child at all. However you put your life in danger all the time. Smoking and beating your child is nowhere comparable but if you want to be a judgemental twat then go ahead.

Quoting Anonymous:

That doesn't make sense at all. I'm nowhere near perfect, but I can read a million news stories about people doing horrible things to their children and know I'm a better parent. Like that YouTube video of that Asian woman beating her baby...I decided I was a better mom than her in about 14 seconds!

Quoting Anonymous:

Im not arguing with that...However if you are going to claim to be better than someone you sure as hell should make sure you are pretty damn near perfect.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM
7 moms liked this

i don't smoke but even i think this is stupid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)