Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People who smoke are not good parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This belief is what kept me from smoking. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant and never smoked again. I view (for myself) that smoking would make me less of a parent.

1. A parent who can not effectively handle stress without the aid of a drug, will not be able to teach her children to do so

2. A parent who willingly shortens their lifespan, despite being a parent, is placing instant gratification above the needs of her children

3. A parent who smokes knowing the likelihood that her smoking will lead her child to smoke in the future, is putting her addiction above the health of her child.

Now I imagine that some of you will get defensive over this post, and many of you will even make excuses as to how you can smoke and these statements don't apply to you. At the end of the day, it makes no difference how an internet stranger views your decisions. I posted this because it keeps me from smoking, and maybe someone will read it, take it to heart and it will keep them from smoking too.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
poshkat
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM
14 moms liked this

a little update, OMG THAT WAS THE BEST NEWPORT EVER!!!!!!!!!

Proud-mama-05
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM
5 moms liked this
I quit smoking when I got pregnant with my 1st child but I find this statement to be incredibly stupid. Just because someone chooses to smoke DOESN'T make them a bad parent compared to someone who doesn't. It doesn't mean they love their child any less then you do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jynnifer292
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Are parents that eat junk food or drive too fast bad parents too?

I quit before I got pregnant. I started when I was fifteen though. It was damn hard to quit but I suspect it was easier for me than many. It would be great if people quit for their health, for their kids, to save money, but I don't think it makes them bad parents UNLESS they are smoking in the car and house with the kids. My friends that smoke always do it outside.

My friend and I were talking about the cost of smoking the other day. She said that if she and her husband quit, they would probably save a thousand dollars a year. I added up how much she smoked and the cost, how much he smoked and the cost, and it was close to five thousand dollars a year. She was floored. May I add, she is a wonderful mother.

mybabybugssmile
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM
4 moms liked this
Parents who smoke around their children are bad parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with this:) Sounds a lot like me. I don't smoke in my house (yuck!) and I talk openly with my kids about smoking. I teach them that yes its a nasty habit that can have adverse health affects and its not something you want to ever pick up.....I hope they also see that no parent is perfect and admitting to your mistakes/flaws is part of being an adult.

Quoting Teacher101:

Oh and there are different kinds of smokers. For example, I don't smoke around my children and I don't smoke during my workday. Therefore, my students don't see me smoking and my kids only see me if they come outside to where I am at while I am smoking. I have also explained addiction to them and why they should never start smoking. They understand it is a hard thing to quit and can see through my experiences that they don't want to start.

StrangeDays
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM
So damn true.

Quoting Fields456:

Former smokers are worse than non-smokers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Hmmm... my mom had an ashtray in my nursery. Different time. But after my dad died, she quit smoking. Those were horrible days/months/probably the whole year. She threw a chair at the wall because it was either the chair or my sister. It made a big hole in the drywall. I don't know if smoking makes you a bad parent, but quitting cold turkey sure challenges that "good parent." There is a lot of good stuff on the market to help with quitting now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Yep. Like not using sunscreen, tanning, eating too many processed foods, not exercising regularly, ebf, ect.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok well I hope then you dont do any of the billion thinks that could cause cancer or shorten your lifespan. Since you are so much better than a smoker you know....

sophiesister2
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Iv never been a smoker. I completely agree though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I can see your points and I am one who hates cigarette smoke but I don't find things like this in regard to being a good parent black and white. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)