Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People who smoke are not good parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This belief is what kept me from smoking. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant and never smoked again. I view (for myself) that smoking would make me less of a parent.

1. A parent who can not effectively handle stress without the aid of a drug, will not be able to teach her children to do so

2. A parent who willingly shortens their lifespan, despite being a parent, is placing instant gratification above the needs of her children

3. A parent who smokes knowing the likelihood that her smoking will lead her child to smoke in the future, is putting her addiction above the health of her child.

Now I imagine that some of you will get defensive over this post, and many of you will even make excuses as to how you can smoke and these statements don't apply to you. At the end of the day, it makes no difference how an internet stranger views your decisions. I posted this because it keeps me from smoking, and maybe someone will read it, take it to heart and it will keep them from smoking too.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (551-560):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 118 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:43 AM

I dont agree that you should have your kids taken just for smoking but i do think that in my opinion most people who smoke are uneducated lower income individuals it definitely is a lower class thing to do and I agree that people who do not smoke are better parents than ppl who do smoke but i think rather than have cps take the children away those parents should be required to take a class on the effects of smoke education is power and if you have all the info and still want to smoke than you are a weak ass parent who probably shouldnt have had kids in the first place come on i get addiction i know its hard but really do you love your cigs more than your kids grow up and put your children first

MamaDee2Bee
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

if smoking is for the "LOWER CLASS" how do they afford it? hmm?!

xanthian41691
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't smoke and neither does hubby, but both of our fathers do, his step mom does, most people in my family do, a few in his family do. We were both raised well and my parents are fantastic. My dad and step mom are awesome and raised my sister and I and we were around a smoking parent and a smoking family. 

I think you're using these to justify it for yourself but it doesn't mean all people who don't smoke are better parents than those who do. Get over yourself.

Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

GLO682
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I smoke and i agree with you to a certain extent. i would really like to quit.

kidlover2
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Well.... according to my pulmonary lung function test, I have the lungs of someone who has smoked their whole life or grew up in it. Neither one is true. I haven't even tried smoking and nobody in my family ever smoked... but @ 30 yrs old I have the beginnings of emphysema. Life is kind of funny that way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KGreen75
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

What about fat people?  Are they bad parents too?

truelove813
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Well I am proud of you for quitting! Way to put your kids lives first!
truelove813
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Quit! Quit! Quit! :)
My cousin who I am very close with, just quit a month ago. He stopped cold turkey. He said he wanted to stab people in the first few days, but he's gotten past that lol. It makes it so much nicer to hang out with him! We go over there frequently to play cards and we don't have to stop after every game so he can smoke! I hope he can keep up the good work, and I hope you can too!!

Quoting GLO682:

GLO682
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

thank you. i definitely don't want to be a smoker for the rest of my life.

good for your cousin! :O)
My cousin who I am very close with, just quit a month ago. He stopped cold turkey. He said he wanted to stab people in the first few days, but he's gotten past that lol. It makes it so much nicer to hang out with him! We go over there frequently to play cards and we don't have to stop after every game so he can smoke! I hope he can keep up the good work, and I hope you can too!!

Quoting GLO682:

truelove813
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
You're welcome! Having the desire to quit is a good place to start, maybe cut back by a few a day if you don't want to just stop completely! Best of luck :-)

Quoting GLO682:

thank you. i definitely don't want to be a smoker for the rest of my life.

good for your cousin! :O)

Quoting GLO682:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN