Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People who smoke are not good parents

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This belief is what kept me from smoking. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant and never smoked again. I view (for myself) that smoking would make me less of a parent.

1. A parent who can not effectively handle stress without the aid of a drug, will not be able to teach her children to do so

2. A parent who willingly shortens their lifespan, despite being a parent, is placing instant gratification above the needs of her children

3. A parent who smokes knowing the likelihood that her smoking will lead her child to smoke in the future, is putting her addiction above the health of her child.

Now I imagine that some of you will get defensive over this post, and many of you will even make excuses as to how you can smoke and these statements don't apply to you. At the end of the day, it makes no difference how an internet stranger views your decisions. I posted this because it keeps me from smoking, and maybe someone will read it, take it to heart and it will keep them from smoking too.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (561-563):
bellygirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not that I don't agree with your statements, however, you sound very nieve.  Smoking may make me an idiot for those reasons, however, it has nothing to do with my parenting skills.  It may be selfish of me because I am a parent.  It may make me a poor role model for my children,  but it doesn't define me as a parent.  As far as parenting without the aid of a stress releiver, what about anti-anxiety meds or depression meds.  Is it wise for parents who needs these medications, to not take them, so they'll be better parents?  You may have valid points, however your summation is terrible and weak.

carderthemommy
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM
woooah! hold up there! LOWER CLASS PEOPLE?! watch how you fucking say things, girl. That was absolutly horrible for you to say. & even if you have an opinion.. That shows how you are as a person, & it ain't a good one. My children are very much well provided for, & I'm not selfish at all. I put my children first in my life & smoking last. GET YOUR FACTS STRIAGHT!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rstuart66
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Being a smoker does not necessarily make you a bad parent.  Yes, you should smoke outside and not in the car with the children.  Everyone does something to help them with stress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN