Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please try to have a presentable bathroom. A vent.

Posted by   + Show Post
I stay for a day or two with my parents so the baby can see her grandparents and my SO can rest up for hectic weekends at work. I have two sisters who live at home, ages 25 and 13. There's a guest bedroom upstairs where I sleep and after the baby's fed in the morning, I'll use the shower across the hall. As great as a morning shower is, the bathroom is atrocious.

There are clothes all over the floor. It wouldn't bother me if it was one change of clothes (older sister works nights and showers when she comes home in the morning) but we're talking about a week's worth. The towels aren't put back on the drying hooks and are usually piled in with the clothes. All of this gives off a foul odor. The worst part is getting into the shower. There's ALWAYS a huge clump of hair sitting on the faucet. There's always some in the drain and when I go to pull it out, there's a huge trail of hair coming out. It's gross but I won't shower knowing it's there. All of this hasn't been happening for the past couple of weeks since my daughter has been born. It's been an ongoing thing.

Before your panties are bunched, I have taken down the clothes into our laundry room to be washed and have even started washing them when mom isn't home. When she does see me do this, she tells me to take it back up and she'll have my sisters bring it down. Yeah, they don't. I'm almost tempted to clean the entire bathroom because they're told to do it a number of times when we visit and it isn't done.

That's about it for my vent. I only hope you all have cleaner bathrooms than the one I use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Replies (51-60):
mamacough
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I know what you mean. I do clean my once a week but I straighten it everyday. never clothes or hair laying around. I even taught my dh to rince the shower walls before he gets out everyday. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM
I have a fourteen and eleven year old daughter and this is exactly the way they leave the bathroom, it is a disgrace and I keep a very neat and clean home. I have pleaded, screamed, threatened and begged, they are slobs and I refuse to spend every day off cleaning their bathroom. I can feel your pain.
cholita1978
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Dirty bathrooms are one of my biggest pet peeves, specially if the toilets have that yellow ring around them, gross!! those do come out, or don't appear if you clean your bathrooms at least once a week.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Before we remodeled our bathroom last year, our bathroom was absolutely atrocious. Our house is 80 years old, and used to have 80 year old plumbing and I don't know how old the fixtures were. The finish wore off the bathtub long ago, and I couldn't clean it no matter what I did or what I used. The toilet either wouldn't flush or would overflow several times a week. I couldn't  keep the floor clean because the vinyl was cheap and even scrubbing it, it still looked dirty.  I was so embarrassed and hated having people come over!!

We remodeled the bathroom last year and completely gutted it and I mean GUTTED IT!!! There is absolutely nothing up there that was there before, new toilet, plumbing, sink, bathtub, shower, walls, floor and ceiling. I am able to clean it and keep it clean now. I wipe down the sink and the toilet every day with clorox wipes, and spray down the toilet and shower every day with Scrubbing Bubbles foam. I clean the toilet with Soft Scrub gel once a week and wipe down the tub and shower once a week with Magic Erasers. Everyone puts their dirty clothes in the laundry hamper.

I'm with you. I can't stand a dirty bathroom!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a fourteen and eleven year old daughter and this is exactly the way they leave the bathroom, it is a disgrace and I keep a very neat and clean home. I have pleaded, screamed, threatened and begged, they are slobs and I refuse to spend every day off cleaning their bathroom. I can feel your pain.

I could have written this, except my dd's are 15 and 10.  I have purchases so many cleaning supplies to make things easiest for them, the lysol wipes so it's one step yet their bathroom is icky too. I think part of the issue is that neither of them thinks they should clean up after the other yet both of them insist it's the other who is the messy one.

Una75
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Gross!  I used to have a friend who's bathroom was so nasty it was ridiculous.  There's a difference between messy & dirty.  They didn't have stuff laying around, but they NEVER cleaned no matter who was coming over.  I never could bring myself to step into their tub. I always washed up in the sink, and even that needed to be cleaned before I could use it.  The shower (curtains included) was covered in so much scum you couldn't tell what color the tiles were.  Everything just looked grey.  I tried cleaning it once and gave up. Every time I went to their house I was fixing or cleaning something.  It was ridiculous.  Eventually they hired someone to help with the cleaning. I felt so sorry for him.

If I were your mom (or you for that matter), I'd take that pile of nastiness and dump it right on top of their beds.  Then I'd lock the bathroom and give both of your sisters two buckets each to keep in their rooms, one for washing, the other for toilet and tell them that when they decide to act like normal human beings & help keep the bathroom clean they'll be welcome to use it.  After the age of 18, you aren't required to house them and they should do their part gratefully.  Sometimes you have to get a little extreme for people to get the point.  And you're there as a guest!  You should NOT be cleaning up behind them!!!

If you live alone, do whatever you want, but when you're sharing you need to have some consideration.

Una75
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Classic sister drama. Make them work together when it's time to clean or take the advice I gave the OP.  The only other thing you can do is try to monitor the bathroom everytime they use it to figure out who's making the bigger mess - and who has time for that.  You don't have to threaten and beg.  Actions speak much louder than words.  Cut their allowances and privileges until they understand that they have to work together and do better about keeping their bathrooms clean.

Most likely, the one doing the most work is going to complain more.  Give the other one the two buckets for her room, and allow the one who's keeping it clean to enjoy it alone for a while.  If that doesn't send a message, nothing will.  Never do the work for them, it defeats the whole purpose.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I could have written this, except my dd's are 15 and 10.  I have purchases so many cleaning supplies to make things easiest for them, the lysol wipes so it's one step yet their bathroom is icky too. I think part of the issue is that neither of them thinks they should clean up after the other yet both of them insist it's the other who is the messy one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Ugh, I still live with my parents for the time being and I make sure to clean. I cannot stand wet dirty clothes....they stink. I'm anal about a clean kitchen and bathroom. Of course our living room looks as of a tornado hit it because of ds and his toys, but even he knows they are to be picked up before bedtime. I don't know how people live so nasty. When I lived in my apartment I had roommates who were just disgusting. I refuse to have anymore roommates that I don't know personally!
wittyscreenname
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I have 8 year old twins and they are responsible for keeping their bathroom clean. I clean the toilet, sink, mirror and tub every other day (I don't want them messing with the chemicles), but they are responsible for everything else.

The only thing that might put someone off about their bathroom (also the guest bathroom) is the potty chair. lol

savannahmom2011
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM

i just cleaned mine. mine normally looks like that every 2 weeks before i clean it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)