Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People without autistic children..

Posted by   + Show Post

shoud shut the hell up with how to raise them better.  Unless you are a parent with an autistic child, you're clueless.

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Yeah, cause I listened to people who did not have them and now I am living in a private hell!

sweetfox3
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Quoting sweetfox3:

Quoting Anonymous:

Then don't put your child in a situation they're going to freak out in. Not my problem if your kid is having a meltdown but please remove them from the situation so don't bother other people. As a mother with no autistic children even when my child is having a bad day or over tired or whatever he is going through that day I don't drag him around with him to provoke misbehavior.

My kids ARE autistic and I say the same.  I do my darnedest to not set them up for failure.

When. I say I do OT set them up for failure, I always ensure I have snacks and they are well rested.  Owe er, life happens.  Sometimes mission must be completed.

beaularson91
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM
3 moms liked this

I think anyone who is giving unwanted child rearing advice should shut up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I was a kids clothing store manager for THREE YEARS. You'd be surprised what i've seen happen in kids clothing stores with parenting with normal children and children on the spectrum. People sometimes plainly do not care about how their children are gong to react to an over stimulative environment [like during the last month and this month]. People just want to get their shopping done, or too busy to do certain things so they must do these things with their already overstimulated child.  I am not saying to "keep your child at home because I don't want to be bothered by them." All I am is stating I don't want to hear a child scream and cry and have a freak out in the middle of a store just because you triggered their meltdown and couldn't wait till later or the next day. As an adult I even get over stimulated in high traffic time  in ANY store in ANY time of the year.

Quoting sweetfox3:

Quoting Anonymous:

Then don't put your child in a situation they're going to freak out in. Not my problem if your kid is having a meltdown but please remove them from the situation so don't bother other people. As a mother with no autistic children even when my child is having a bad day or over tired or whatever he is going through that day I don't drag him around with him to provoke misbehavior.

My kids ARE autistic and I say the same.  I do my darnedest to not set them up for failure.

momof2little1s
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Amen!!! Thank you for this post. In all honestly even the professionals who have worked with my DD with autism do not get it either. They give great advice, and ideas. But no one, understands how or why that great advice is not working like another mom of a child with autism.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabear55
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree some mothers of autistic children are like this.  On the other hand, not all moms are that way.  You shouldn't stereotype because of something like race that someone can't help.  People can't help being the parent of a child with autism either.

Quoting Elyce225:

Well.  I have adopted my Autistic nephew.  Therefore I am not clueless.

I think parents of Autistic children feel entilted for everything to be her way.  THe world should revolve around their child(ren) but at the same time they should be treated exactly the same

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I think parents of supposed autistic children should stop using it as an excuse for their brats to run wild and take some damn responsibilty and stop making the rest of us suffer for your kids.

Sweetness88
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:03 AM
My child isnt autistic but I totalky agree. It annoys me when people say those things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Liyoness
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

This is a good example of the "no" part of my statement.

Children with Autism are just as capable as children without Autism to be manipulative.

Now, I can't speak to any specific situation you might be referring to, however, I have known parents to take the easy approach and not challenge their child because it's easier not to challenge them than to work through triggers/things they don't want to do/try. 

Children with Autism learn, just as any neurotypical child does, that if they yell and scream loud enough and long enough that they can get out of something. Sometimes parents of children with Autism feel sensitive about this and fear stressing their child to any degree. Others are embarrassed or ashamed of such behaviour, especially in public, and just want it to stop - especially as the child gets older. This isn't necessarily beneficial to the child.

Quoting sweetfox3:

Quoting Anonymous:

Bennett121
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I have an autistic child and I don't expect the world to revolve around my child. I do however expect to be treated with respect when I am out in public if my dd begins to whine or starts stemming in public. (her stem is a hum) I also don't need unsolicited advice from strangers. I could live without their stares and glares too. 

Quoting Elyce225:

Well.  I have adopted my Autistic nephew.  Therefore I am not clueless.

I think parents of Autistic children feel entilted for everything to be her way.  THe world should revolve around their child(ren) but at the same time they should be treated exactly the same

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)