Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should she keep collecting welfare?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Let's say... office secretary works 38 hours a week. Office won't make her full time to avoid paying benefits. She makes $10/hr, so $380/wk, less than $20,000 a year. She has 2 kids, is divorced, dad does pay child support. She qualifies for food stamps and medical for her kids so she gets it.

She starts dating some rich exec at the company. He falls in love and moves her into his 4000 sq foot home and her and the kids live a great life. He lets her drive his 2012 fancy new car. She is NOT married to him. She still owns nothing. She still makes $19,xxx a year. 

Should she still collect food stamps and have state medical for her children even though she has no expenses? Should she pay her own way or save up her cash in a safety deposit box or whatever so if they break up some day she has something to fall back on?

Is that welfare abuse to you?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Replies (451-460):
Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM

If he's actually moved in with her, his income would now be counted.

The welfare system requires that ALL sources of income earned by any adult be counted.

Yes, she's committing welfare abuse and fraud.

Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Depends on the company and what their rules are on hours and who qualifies for full or part-time status based on those hours.

Quoting sam12796:

Full time is over 32 hours by the way

Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Because that's such an inspiring goal in the world--to be "looking good enuf" to be taken care of by someone.

*sigh

Quoting kvv:

Good for her at least she's not all fat and lazy and actually working and looking good enuf for someone to notice and take care of her!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 88 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I think she needs to decide what is best for her and her children. I don't think she needs to worry about what other people think. That is just my opinion you agree or not agree.

Legaltype
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I'd say that's welfare abuse. I'd go the route where she can save her own money since he's paying all the expenses in case they break up. If you don't need it, you don't need it. She can always re-apply.

Legaltype
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I know right? (lol) I'd prefer to take care of myself. It's not that I don't want to look good, it's just that I'd prefer to rely on myself rather than someone else because if I can take care of myself, I don't have to put up with any shit just because I need that person to support me.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Because that's such an inspiring goal in the world--to be "looking good enuf" to be taken care of by someone.

*sigh

Quoting kvv:

Good for her at least she's not all fat and lazy and actually working and looking good enuf for someone to notice and take care of her!

Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

She might as well have written, "Yay YOU for finding a sugar daddy!"

SMH.

Quoting Legaltype:

I know right? (lol) I'd prefer to take care of myself. It's not that I don't want to look good, it's just that I'd prefer to rely on myself rather than someone else because if I can take care of myself, I don't have to put up with any shit just because I need that person to support me.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

*sigh

Quoting kvv:

Tempest41
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM

definitely not food and financial but medical for her kids if the father doesnt provide it or her job... but she should be setting money aside 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 89 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM

If they live together, she must report ALL HOUSEHOLD income whether she earns it or not. She is NOT eligible for assistance.

Nichole0403
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM
If you do not need it then do not take it! Simple as that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)