Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

worst babyshower gift?!

Posted by   + Show Post

What was the WORST baby shower gift that you recieved during your babyshower(s)?
I wouldn't say that I got any "bad" gifts, but I did have friends that showed up without a gift for the babies.
I don't want to come off "ungrateful", but I wouldn't go to a babyshower without a gift! I thought the whole point was to shower the baby with gifts?!

oh well! ;)

What are some horror stories you have from your babyshower?!

-Melissa Juliet
vote for my blog pretty please! just click on " the best mom blogs" picture and your golden!
Thank you!
www.MePlusYouAndTWO.com

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:56 AM

On my step-mom's side of the family, there was a tradition. All newborn babies got a handmade teddy bear called a Boo Bear. They were basically just a round small pillow with legs, arms, and ears- fairly similar to tag blankets, really. They were always made by one of the mom-to-be's aunts, with a hand embroidered face. I had a darling tan crushed velvet one when I was little that I received as a wedding gift when my dad and step mom got married. I was 4 at the time. 

I was really looking forward to seeing what colors were picked, a d fabrics, and who decided to make it.

it wound up being a plain gray cotton one, with no face :( it was done at the last minute, because no one thought to make it until the night before, and had no time to do the face. I never received one for my other two kids, either, even though the tradition is still alive and well. 

I can't really think of anything else that was disappointing. 

Nolanzo
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:03 AM
That was very sweet of you to do. I'm not surprised no one showed at the shower if her mother's behavior is any indication of how they interact with others.

Ill never forget a shower I went to once for a rather spoiled diva co worker acquaintance.... half way through the gift opening she became visibly upset that some of the items were not exact matches to whatever shed registered for... and this is a women who registere at not someplace normal like Target or Babies R Us but friggin Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom. I spent nearly $30 on a 3 bib set from Ralph Lauren off the registry and felt like I came with the crappiest inferior gift but I couldn't afford some of the ridiculous Juicy Couture sleepers and other crap on there lol

Seriously people!!! Be realistic! :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Basically, her daughter had nobody to come to a shower. It's actually kind of sad. She's not exactly what you would call "stable", and she alienates everyone. I made her a really pretty photo album for each of her kids though, and gave them to her close to her due dates.

Quoting Nolanzo:

Good for you for shooting her down. Clothez even used ones are wortha lot of cash... at the very least id say well I've got to charge you what the consignment shop would have given... people's sense if entitlement drives me bananas.

And why isn't her dd having her own damn baby shower lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nolanzo:

Wtf??

This is when I would have said I have a girlfriend having a girll as well and oh well but oops! Already made an agreement that she'll be receiving my hand me downs. Sorry!

Seriiusly... what if you wanted to keep dds clothing for sentimental value? You shoyld never be made to feel like you're having to give her stuff away scott free like that. What a douche.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not a bad gift, bad bad sentiment. Husbands aunt gave me a bunch of bibs, so that I would put them on dd and keep her clothes nice so I could give them to her dd who was having a little girl due 2 months after my dd. She told me this at the shower. She even went through everything I got and inventoried what she wanted me to give her dd, and as I opened presents told me what she wanted and even what she thought was ugly...

I told her I would be selling the stuff at Once Upon A Child to buy new clothes for my dd. I expect nothing but douchery from this woman. She's the queen bee. Considering how her sister, mt MIL is, nothing surprises me from those people...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:03 AM
My mil threw together a rushed baby shower once she got my baby shower invite that my mom was throwing me one.

She invited 75 people 30 people RSVP'd (she told my husband "we are going to have a packed house") and 10 people showed up. She then played a game "how well do you know your partner" where every answer you get wrong you have to stick another piece of gum in your mouth (bridal shower game). Well the gum made me sick and every person got my DD a blanket. Nothing from the registry and NO blankets were on there because I already bought them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Well at least you all got baby showers. I've never had one. My family is all spread out from Hawaii to Ohio, and I move too often to have any close friends. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:26 AM
I gave a baby gate at 1 shower I went to. She looked very dissapointed.
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:04 AM

My showers weren't bad but I found one thing funny.  When MIL and my mom had my shower for my son, my mom made a spiked punch which obviously I couldn't drink.  When they had my shower for my daughter whom we adopted, they served nonspiked punch.  I am very glad though that they took into account my hatred of silly shower games and didn't do any of those when I was pregnant with my son.

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:05 AM

A whinnie the pooh diaper bag. I hate whinnie the pooh, but it's the thought that counts!

Diamondblue1
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:08 AM
I didn't get any bad gifts my church threw me a baby shower this was my first real baby shower i got some very nice gifts and diapers are always a platinum plus lol.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
No crazy gifts.

DH's crazy aunt came up to me though and told me "Don't beat the babies if they cry!". Lmao, I'm like "yeah..,I would never think to do that, but thanks for the info!?"
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM
LUCKILY we already had one, but a coworker got me what I assume, in it's heyday was a bassinet. I was from a yard sale with mold on the skirt and the part you can't take off. We dumped it as soon as we got it home. There was no salvaging it for even goodwill. I totally get not having money, but a congrats card would have been fine than giving me that toxic thing!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)