Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nobody told me i could do both! *edit to answer questions*

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM
  • 241 Replies
14 moms liked this
Nobody told me i could breastfeed and formula feed. I stoppped breastfeeding my first dd when she was two months old because i couldnt pump. I never got a break and she was ALWAYS hungry. I thought i was just not producing enough milk.

But with this baby it is soooo much easier formula feeding and breastfeeding. I didnt add the formula until she was two weeks old, but it is sooo much easier. I do not pump, she gets about two bottles of formula a day and i strictly breastfeed at night (its easier then getting up and making the bottle, lol). I get my break, my boobs arnt near as sore, and others get to feed her as well. Im not shy about feeding her in public, but its easier being able to give her a bottle when we r out and about. She does pretty good with it, sometimes she will prefer a bottle over the boob or the other way around. I think i will be able to breastfeed her until she is at least one, or bites my boob, lol.

I wish i knew then what i know now.... my second child is sooo much easier than my first and thats with a two year old running around. Its amazing the little tricks you learn that nobody tells you, like they actually make a little swaddle blanket. Im sure they had them two years ago, but i always tried to use a regular baby blanket and she would wiggle her way out of it. With this one they gave me one at the hospital and mil bought us one the day we brought her home.
Also, i learned that if you hold a baby nonstop, they always want to be held. I learned my lesson with my first. I get more done now with two kids then i did back then with one baby.

Any one else learn anything from experience? Please share, my kids r still teaching me everyday. Lol.

*edit*
wow, this post went a total diff direction than i was hoping, i was hoping people would be giving advice on things they learned, not bashing me, but whatever...

I do hold my baby a lot, just note nonstop like with my first. If she falls asleep i put her down, with my first i would hold her if she fell asleep.

I have a bf consultant come to my house for the first six weeks. She was awesome and was actually the one who told me it wont hurt to give her a bottle or two a day because she seen how hard it was for me to pump, i can get about four ounces in twenty min, but i have to squeeze my boobs to do this, and thats with two diff pumps. She realized i was getting depressed and was really hard on myself.

My supply is still really good, just this morning my baby was acting funny whle bf and i took my boob out and it was just squirting everywhere and was too much at one time for her. My supply is good and if two bottles a day starts to make me dry up, i will go to one a day. But its been a few weeks and its fine.

I use the nuk breastfeeding nipples and bottles, its shaped like the end of a boob and the nipple looks like mine with the hole on top instead of on the end like normal bottle. Damn things cost $10 for three bottle and that was on sale.

I am feeding my kid and she is happy, i hold her a lot, just not nonstop. I have things i need to do. If your milk dried up im sorry, but everyones body is different, im still going strong. I am still mainy breastfeeding, so its really not necessary to bash. She eats every two hours, thats during the day and night, so i relly dont think two bottles matters. And even the bf consultant told me its healthier for me and baby to do both rather than just bf and me get post partum depression from being overwhelmed. She said i was starting to show the signs.

So to those who didnt bash, thankyou.....to the rest, why bother even commenting????? This post was to tell what u learned, not to bash me on what i feed my kid, or because i put her down instead of never putting her down and wearing a sling while i clean toilets and do the dishes.....
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristyKat
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:24 AM

It's what I did with our first, it was nice.  We just did little medicine cups of it when she couldn't seem to stop feeding 24/7.  I know some people say it's bad, but for me, it helped my depression. It's what I did to stay sane.  We did not do that with our son, who is now 1, and it was hell the first 6 months.  I wish I could go back and just supplement from the get-go, and maybe the first 6 months of his life wouldn't have been so miserable.

TwinmomAlicia
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM
19 moms liked this
Funny, I learned that they don't stay babies, so I hold this one even more than my first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MacensMommy228
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Ur supply can suffer.
mom2cheesebug
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Quoting KristyKat:

It's what I did with our first, it was nice.  We just did little medicine cups of it when she couldn't seem to stop feeding 24/7.  I know some people say it's bad, but for me, it helped my depression. It's what I did to stay sane.  We did not do that with our son, who is now 1, and it was hell the first 6 months.  I wish I could go back and just supplement from the get-go, and maybe the first 6 months of his life wouldn't have been so miserable.

I got depressed with my first too, i felt like just a milk making machine and i never went anywhere because i didnt want to bf in public and i couldnt pump. I feel bad now and wish i could go back. With formula i could of bf a lot longer. I use the nuk bottles that have the nippples that r shaped like real nipples. They work good, but they r expensive. I could of enjoyed her first two months a lot more if i knew then what i know now..
mom2cheesebug
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Quoting MacensMommy228:

Ur supply can suffer.

Not with just two bottles a day. She has skipped more feedings than that on her off days.
KristyKat
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Oh, I wanted to add, that the lactation consultant with my son let us know we could do both because any breast milk is better than none.  She was sweet, and helped a lot. 

Quoting mom2cheesebug:

Quoting KristyKat:

I got depressed with my first too, i felt like just a milk making machine and i never went anywhere because i didnt want to bf in public and i couldnt pump. I feel bad now and wish i could go back. With formula i could of bf a lot longer. I use the nuk bottles that have the nippples that r shaped like real nipples. They work good, but they r expensive. I could of enjoyed her first two months a lot more if i knew then what i know now..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM
4 moms liked this
Bf is supply and demand. Your supply isn't going to hold up if you keep giving formula.
mom2cheesebug
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Bf is supply and demand. Your supply isn't going to hold up if you keep giving formula.

Two bottles a day wont make my supply go down when the kid eats every two hours. I have only went through one can of formula and she is a month and a half old. When u cant pump, its nice to get a break. If i sit there and squeeze my boob while pumping i can get about four ounces, but my boobies cant take that. I have tried two diff pumps and they just dont suction hard enough i guess.
MacensMommy228
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Quoting mom2cheesebug:

Ya it can. To each their own aslong as ur baby is fed Im just stating the facts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM
I can't pump and ds has never had a bottle

Quoting mom2cheesebug:

Quoting Anonymous:

Two bottles a day wont make my supply go down when the kid eats every two hours. I have only went through one can of formula and she is a month and a half old. When u cant pump, its nice to get a break. If i sit there and squeeze my boob while pumping i can get about four ounces, but my boobies cant take that. I have tried two diff pumps and they just dont suction hard enough i guess.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN