Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nobody told me i could do both! *edit to answer questions*

Posted by   + Show Post
Nobody told me i could breastfeed and formula feed. I stoppped breastfeeding my first dd when she was two months old because i couldnt pump. I never got a break and she was ALWAYS hungry. I thought i was just not producing enough milk.

But with this baby it is soooo much easier formula feeding and breastfeeding. I didnt add the formula until she was two weeks old, but it is sooo much easier. I do not pump, she gets about two bottles of formula a day and i strictly breastfeed at night (its easier then getting up and making the bottle, lol). I get my break, my boobs arnt near as sore, and others get to feed her as well. Im not shy about feeding her in public, but its easier being able to give her a bottle when we r out and about. She does pretty good with it, sometimes she will prefer a bottle over the boob or the other way around. I think i will be able to breastfeed her until she is at least one, or bites my boob, lol.

I wish i knew then what i know now.... my second child is sooo much easier than my first and thats with a two year old running around. Its amazing the little tricks you learn that nobody tells you, like they actually make a little swaddle blanket. Im sure they had them two years ago, but i always tried to use a regular baby blanket and she would wiggle her way out of it. With this one they gave me one at the hospital and mil bought us one the day we brought her home.
Also, i learned that if you hold a baby nonstop, they always want to be held. I learned my lesson with my first. I get more done now with two kids then i did back then with one baby.

Any one else learn anything from experience? Please share, my kids r still teaching me everyday. Lol.

*edit*
wow, this post went a total diff direction than i was hoping, i was hoping people would be giving advice on things they learned, not bashing me, but whatever...

I do hold my baby a lot, just note nonstop like with my first. If she falls asleep i put her down, with my first i would hold her if she fell asleep.

I have a bf consultant come to my house for the first six weeks. She was awesome and was actually the one who told me it wont hurt to give her a bottle or two a day because she seen how hard it was for me to pump, i can get about four ounces in twenty min, but i have to squeeze my boobs to do this, and thats with two diff pumps. She realized i was getting depressed and was really hard on myself.

My supply is still really good, just this morning my baby was acting funny whle bf and i took my boob out and it was just squirting everywhere and was too much at one time for her. My supply is good and if two bottles a day starts to make me dry up, i will go to one a day. But its been a few weeks and its fine.

I use the nuk breastfeeding nipples and bottles, its shaped like the end of a boob and the nipple looks like mine with the hole on top instead of on the end like normal bottle. Damn things cost $10 for three bottle and that was on sale.

I am feeding my kid and she is happy, i hold her a lot, just not nonstop. I have things i need to do. If your milk dried up im sorry, but everyones body is different, im still going strong. I am still mainy breastfeeding, so its really not necessary to bash. She eats every two hours, thats during the day and night, so i relly dont think two bottles matters. And even the bf consultant told me its healthier for me and baby to do both rather than just bf and me get post partum depression from being overwhelmed. She said i was starting to show the signs.

So to those who didnt bash, thankyou.....to the rest, why bother even commenting????? This post was to tell what u learned, not to bash me on what i feed my kid, or because i put her down instead of never putting her down and wearing a sling while i clean toilets and do the dishes.....
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Replies (201-210):
Melinda32
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM
No bashing here, do what works for your family. I ff my first after a month, ebf my 2nd for 20mths and did a mix of both for my youngest until she weaned herself at 13mths. All 3 of them are well adjusted :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mimihh213
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Ok, I'll look at the site tomorrow, gotta get some sleep. Don't want any hard feelings; it all comes down to we do the best we can & what works for our family!!

Quoting Anonymous:

My mother and Grandmother and MIL have all given my son a bottle of expressed milk but NEVER while I was in the room OR while I was holding him. That does affect the supply. Babies know the scent of their mother and it can also get them to refuse the bottle or straight up prefer the bottle. Kellymom.com explains a lot of about what happens when a mother gives her baby her own expressed milk. My relationship is wonderful even though I breastfed exclusively for two years.

Quoting Mimihh213:

Why does it matter if the baby knows where/who the milk comes from? Grandparents/fathers/ etc aren't allowed to feed baby???

Also, to those that claim to never give a bottle the first two years of baby's life , I feel bad for you! I love my monthly date night w/ hubby, with this one & ds 4 (grandparent watches baby). I think having grown-up time here and there and getting away once in awhile IS good for you and marriages/ relationships. Baby shouldn't come first, but be an addition to a happy, healthy family . Just MY opinion.

Quoting Anonymous:

You need to hold a baby - it doesn't spoil them and doesn't make them want to be held all the time.

Breastfeeding is superior and it works as supply and demand. Giving formula will affect your supply no matter  what you think. And, feeding a baby a bottle yourself WILL confuse the baby and get the baby confused about what and who the milk comes from.

You obviously didn't learn enough with your first one.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Kellymom is theb est resource out there for learning about more about breastfeeding. Don't say someones relationship lacks because they didn't give their baby a bottle. Some babies refuse bottles straight up even when given at 4 through 6 weeks.

Quoting Mimihh213:

Ok, I'll look at the site tomorrow, gotta get some sleep. Don't want any hard feelings; it all comes down to we do the best we can & what works for our family!!

Quoting Anonymous:

My mother and Grandmother and MIL have all given my son a bottle of expressed milk but NEVER while I was in the room OR while I was holding him. That does affect the supply. Babies know the scent of their mother and it can also get them to refuse the bottle or straight up prefer the bottle. Kellymom.com explains a lot of about what happens when a mother gives her baby her own expressed milk. My relationship is wonderful even though I breastfed exclusively for two years.

Quoting Mimihh213:

Why does it matter if the baby knows where/who the milk comes from? Grandparents/fathers/ etc aren't allowed to feed baby???

Also, to those that claim to never give a bottle the first two years of baby's life , I feel bad for you! I love my monthly date night w/ hubby, with this one & ds 4 (grandparent watches baby). I think having grown-up time here and there and getting away once in awhile IS good for you and marriages/ relationships. Baby shouldn't come first, but be an addition to a happy, healthy family . Just MY opinion.

Quoting Anonymous:

You need to hold a baby - it doesn't spoil them and doesn't make them want to be held all the time.

Breastfeeding is superior and it works as supply and demand. Giving formula will affect your supply no matter  what you think. And, feeding a baby a bottle yourself WILL confuse the baby and get the baby confused about what and who the milk comes from.

You obviously didn't learn enough with your first one.

AuntyEm774
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Totally agree with you--and as to the bashers, they obviously are perfect, too bad I'm just human. I did both formula and bf with all three of mine and they are healthy, happy kids.
HairArtist4
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Seriously I'm on your side! Cut the poor girl a break here ladies! Stop trying to "one up" each other! We're all mothers who do what's going to work for us and our children! Bottom line! Geez! 

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Some of the women in this group amaze me.

Breastfeeding is not the be all and end all of motherhood. My son was born with a cleft palate,it was impossible for me to breastfeed.For his first few weeks,I tried to pump and still give him breastmilk,but it wasn't enough,so eventually I had to just give up and give him formula all the time.

That doesn't make me any less of a mother than someone who breastfeeds.

For God's sake,cut the girl a break.

momof2891
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Wow! Now I'm wondering what everyone is going to say when I say that I tried breastfeedibg for two weeks and then stopped. My DD couldn't latch on good and I had very little milk due to a breast reduction. Also all of mine were lactose intolerant. They are both healthy, happy and very smart children and that's with being fed formula from basically day one. If you want to do both then do both. If you to bf exclusively then good for you. If you want bottle feed exclusively then have at it. We are all adults here... Start acting like it. I had a friend that bashed me every time I saw her for not bf feeding and after hearing it 500 times and me blowing up at her once, we stopped talking to each other and that's been six years.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

That's the thing about this site.  You come for advice and all you get is bashed.  I understand.  

GaleJ
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM

While I can understand special circumstances such as your own and others relating to lactation issues I don't understand the other reasons you cited. If one is to take the time to pump why not just take the same time to nurse? Our babies are small and in need of such intense attention for such a short time and for that time I do think they should be the major focus for their mothers. Babies are, and should be, an active commitment and I believe that if you are not willing to make that commitment you shouldn't have a baby. 

I am not saying that there are no circumstances that might demand, for a limited time a mother's attention I am addressing the overall situation. 

Quoting jamamama00:

Because they have stuff to do? There are lots of other reasons,,,,mine was that I only have one boob and it took a pump to keep my supply up. However, just because someone is a stay-at-home mom does not mean they have no life other than baby. I know there are a lot of moms on here who truly do nothing but sit w/ baby, and that's fine. But I think most women these days are expecting the father to help out more, to have more time for themselves for things like going to the gym, taking care of other children, etc.

Quoting GaleJ:

I am not replying to either boast or to criticize, I am only asking because I really don't understand something about all this. Why do women feel the need to pump at all if they're not working and exclusively breastfeeding? My son was exclusively breastfeeding and I never pumped, didn't even have a pump or any bottles. I didn't have them because I planned on breastfeeding exclusively so I didn't believe I needed them. As to dads wanting to feed the baby that isn't something that worked for us, obviously, but my husband staked out his exclusive territory with our baby. He did the bedtime tuck-in which was better anyway because the baby didn't get distracted with nursing instead being put to bed.

So I respectfully ask why those that are stay-at-home, exclusively breastfeeding mothers feel the need to pump at all?

mama_2_jasper
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM
I'm going through the same thing. I hated the whole year I breastfed my first. Now I do both with this one and I love it! He sleeps more at night and I don't feel so overwhelmed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ihold8Stars
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a mom of 8 I have breast feed exclusive I've also pumped majority and formula fed only and done both like you are doing now.

When I worked 50+ hrs a week is different then when Ive stayed at home. And when I got sick and had to be on blood thinning medications and heart medications I formula only.

I've learned every learned everyones different and I've learned there's alot of underappreciated mothers on this board who jump often putting foot so far down they're throat it sticks out of the ass.

Such women feel so unimportant that when given the chance jump to so off how awesome they are.. Secretly many make mistakes but never admitt they learn anything new here. It's sad how cage like some of these moms act.

On bright side you just learned a new thing...
There's alot of know it all bitches oncafemom-and because you handled the attacks with class you can proudly where the I survived the CM Bitch attack and know your the better person. Don't forget to pray for the real nasty ones.. They must have horrible personal lifes to be so mean to a stranger.

Head up momma
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)