Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nobody told me i could do both! *edit to answer questions*

Posted by   + Show Post
Nobody told me i could breastfeed and formula feed. I stoppped breastfeeding my first dd when she was two months old because i couldnt pump. I never got a break and she was ALWAYS hungry. I thought i was just not producing enough milk.

But with this baby it is soooo much easier formula feeding and breastfeeding. I didnt add the formula until she was two weeks old, but it is sooo much easier. I do not pump, she gets about two bottles of formula a day and i strictly breastfeed at night (its easier then getting up and making the bottle, lol). I get my break, my boobs arnt near as sore, and others get to feed her as well. Im not shy about feeding her in public, but its easier being able to give her a bottle when we r out and about. She does pretty good with it, sometimes she will prefer a bottle over the boob or the other way around. I think i will be able to breastfeed her until she is at least one, or bites my boob, lol.

I wish i knew then what i know now.... my second child is sooo much easier than my first and thats with a two year old running around. Its amazing the little tricks you learn that nobody tells you, like they actually make a little swaddle blanket. Im sure they had them two years ago, but i always tried to use a regular baby blanket and she would wiggle her way out of it. With this one they gave me one at the hospital and mil bought us one the day we brought her home.
Also, i learned that if you hold a baby nonstop, they always want to be held. I learned my lesson with my first. I get more done now with two kids then i did back then with one baby.

Any one else learn anything from experience? Please share, my kids r still teaching me everyday. Lol.

*edit*
wow, this post went a total diff direction than i was hoping, i was hoping people would be giving advice on things they learned, not bashing me, but whatever...

I do hold my baby a lot, just note nonstop like with my first. If she falls asleep i put her down, with my first i would hold her if she fell asleep.

I have a bf consultant come to my house for the first six weeks. She was awesome and was actually the one who told me it wont hurt to give her a bottle or two a day because she seen how hard it was for me to pump, i can get about four ounces in twenty min, but i have to squeeze my boobs to do this, and thats with two diff pumps. She realized i was getting depressed and was really hard on myself.

My supply is still really good, just this morning my baby was acting funny whle bf and i took my boob out and it was just squirting everywhere and was too much at one time for her. My supply is good and if two bottles a day starts to make me dry up, i will go to one a day. But its been a few weeks and its fine.

I use the nuk breastfeeding nipples and bottles, its shaped like the end of a boob and the nipple looks like mine with the hole on top instead of on the end like normal bottle. Damn things cost $10 for three bottle and that was on sale.

I am feeding my kid and she is happy, i hold her a lot, just not nonstop. I have things i need to do. If your milk dried up im sorry, but everyones body is different, im still going strong. I am still mainy breastfeeding, so its really not necessary to bash. She eats every two hours, thats during the day and night, so i relly dont think two bottles matters. And even the bf consultant told me its healthier for me and baby to do both rather than just bf and me get post partum depression from being overwhelmed. She said i was starting to show the signs.

So to those who didnt bash, thankyou.....to the rest, why bother even commenting????? This post was to tell what u learned, not to bash me on what i feed my kid, or because i put her down instead of never putting her down and wearing a sling while i clean toilets and do the dishes.....
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Replies (21-30):
Tennismom360
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM
3 moms liked this

Yeah I did "attachment" parenting wth my third and she is the most independent one.  I held her all the time. I had a sling and she was in the sling most of the day. I even wore the sling when she wasn't in there like when we were driving in the car. The sling became a piece of clothing.  LOL. And they do grow up so quickly.  I tried to carry her last night (she is 8 and about 70 pounds) - not happening.

I breastfed her for 23 months.  She quit on her own. She never got formula.  She is definitely something else.  She hardly ever gets sick, she has great coordination, is very smart, and says she wants to be a professional tennis player and I do believe she will be highly successful in anything she does.  

Her older sisters were breastfed too, but I used swings, and car seats.

My advice to any new mom, hold your baby as much as you can.  Give them lots of skin to skin contact.  

Quoting TwinmomAlicia:

Funny, I learned that they don't stay babies, so I hold this one even more than my first.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:25 AM

People don't tell you that because for a lot of women their supply can suffer. It's great that yours isn't, but it's not usually recommended because for most women it causes issues. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

It's ok to let babies cry while you eat. Babies cry!! Putting them in a safe place to cry while you run to get laundry, go to the bathroom, etc isn't going to hurt them. You can get them on a schedule pretty young. You Just have to stick with it. 

Every baby is different!! Wearing hand me downs aren't going to kill anyone. ESP a 6 month old. 

Being a parent is hard, no matter how we do it. Stay at home, or not. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM
4 moms liked this

Ugh, the lactation nuts are just crazy. It's sad that they have this "all or nothing" attitude, because so many babies miss out on breastmilk because of it. I've found that it's best to not listen to any type of fanatic when it comes to parenting advice. Balanced moms have the best advice, almost always...

brightonsmom12
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM

How old is she? How are her diapers? That sounds like great output. 

Quoting mom2cheesebug:

Quoting Peytonsmom6308:

I supplemented and my supply didn't suffer. If you keep the same schedule you'll be fine. Like you bf at night then your supply regulates to make enough for just your night feedings or what ever your schedule is. Im glad you found something that works for you!

Thanks, i keep her on a good schedule and when i try to pump, if i squeeze my boobs while pumping, i can get four ounces in twenty minutes, and she only drinks about three, so my supply is still good. I just cant squeeze my boobs for twenty min, lol. I dont really think two bottles a dayis a big deal when she has skipped two feeding or more a day when i was strictly bf.

Blessedlife79
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Yes with just 2 bottles it can.

Quoting mom2cheesebug:

Quoting MacensMommy228:

Ur supply can suffer.

Not with just two bottles a day. She has skipped more feedings than that on her off days.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I did both with my son. He was tongue tied and couldnt latch on for breast feeding. My supply was never very high. I bottle fed him all the breast milk I could pump out and we supplimented with formula.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Do you read?

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Jesus.  I'm pretty sure this was a pissing match post.  Do you want a cookie or something?  Do you need to be told that you are a more superior mother than the OP?  Really, what is your point?

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't pump and ds has never had a bottle

Quoting mom2cheesebug:

Quoting Anonymous:

Bf is supply and demand. Your supply isn't going to hold up if you keep giving formula.

Two bottles a day wont make my supply go down when the kid eats every two hours. I have only went through one can of formula and she is a month and a half old. When u cant pump, its nice to get a break. If i sit there and squeeze my boob while pumping i can get about four ounces, but my boobies cant take that. I have tried two diff pumps and they just dont suction hard enough i guess.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)