Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nobody told me i could do both! *edit to answer questions*

Posted by   + Show Post
Nobody told me i could breastfeed and formula feed. I stoppped breastfeeding my first dd when she was two months old because i couldnt pump. I never got a break and she was ALWAYS hungry. I thought i was just not producing enough milk.

But with this baby it is soooo much easier formula feeding and breastfeeding. I didnt add the formula until she was two weeks old, but it is sooo much easier. I do not pump, she gets about two bottles of formula a day and i strictly breastfeed at night (its easier then getting up and making the bottle, lol). I get my break, my boobs arnt near as sore, and others get to feed her as well. Im not shy about feeding her in public, but its easier being able to give her a bottle when we r out and about. She does pretty good with it, sometimes she will prefer a bottle over the boob or the other way around. I think i will be able to breastfeed her until she is at least one, or bites my boob, lol.

I wish i knew then what i know now.... my second child is sooo much easier than my first and thats with a two year old running around. Its amazing the little tricks you learn that nobody tells you, like they actually make a little swaddle blanket. Im sure they had them two years ago, but i always tried to use a regular baby blanket and she would wiggle her way out of it. With this one they gave me one at the hospital and mil bought us one the day we brought her home.
Also, i learned that if you hold a baby nonstop, they always want to be held. I learned my lesson with my first. I get more done now with two kids then i did back then with one baby.

Any one else learn anything from experience? Please share, my kids r still teaching me everyday. Lol.

*edit*
wow, this post went a total diff direction than i was hoping, i was hoping people would be giving advice on things they learned, not bashing me, but whatever...

I do hold my baby a lot, just note nonstop like with my first. If she falls asleep i put her down, with my first i would hold her if she fell asleep.

I have a bf consultant come to my house for the first six weeks. She was awesome and was actually the one who told me it wont hurt to give her a bottle or two a day because she seen how hard it was for me to pump, i can get about four ounces in twenty min, but i have to squeeze my boobs to do this, and thats with two diff pumps. She realized i was getting depressed and was really hard on myself.

My supply is still really good, just this morning my baby was acting funny whle bf and i took my boob out and it was just squirting everywhere and was too much at one time for her. My supply is good and if two bottles a day starts to make me dry up, i will go to one a day. But its been a few weeks and its fine.

I use the nuk breastfeeding nipples and bottles, its shaped like the end of a boob and the nipple looks like mine with the hole on top instead of on the end like normal bottle. Damn things cost $10 for three bottle and that was on sale.

I am feeding my kid and she is happy, i hold her a lot, just not nonstop. I have things i need to do. If your milk dried up im sorry, but everyones body is different, im still going strong. I am still mainy breastfeeding, so its really not necessary to bash. She eats every two hours, thats during the day and night, so i relly dont think two bottles matters. And even the bf consultant told me its healthier for me and baby to do both rather than just bf and me get post partum depression from being overwhelmed. She said i was starting to show the signs.

So to those who didnt bash, thankyou.....to the rest, why bother even commenting????? This post was to tell what u learned, not to bash me on what i feed my kid, or because i put her down instead of never putting her down and wearing a sling while i clean toilets and do the dishes.....
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Replies (211-220):
xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:33 AM
Hell ya this is what I was thinkin

Quoting TwinmomAlicia:

Funny, I learned that they don't stay babies, so I hold this one even more than my first.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RandiBear
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this

So, just a little tidbit for all you superior mothers who are the all-knowing about breasts and supply world wide.. if two bottles a day will ALWAYS hurt milk supply, answer me this; why is it that my son quit breastfeeding at six weeks (simply refused to take it all anymore, debate that if you want. I really don't care what you have to say about it) and I STILL have enough supply to feed a baby...and he turns 3 on Dec 18. I have no other children. Explain that to me, masters of the breastfeeding universe!

OP: Do what is right for you and your baby. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty. If your milk supply DOES begin to suffer there are herbal remedies to help rebuild supply. Ask your lactation consultant about them. You might even want to try some of them now if you would rather not use even as much formula as you currently do. This is YOUR child, from YOUR womb, and NOBODY on CafeMom has the right to make you feel like you are "less than" for doing what works for you and your family.

AmosFarkle
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I supplemented after about 3 mos.  If I hadn't, I would've been nursing non-stop.  After 3 mos., he knew how to suck both ways.  At first, it's better to give them the breast because it's harder for them to do.  If you start on a bottle and then try to switch, it takes some time.  (I had to do it because of slight jaundice.)  But they get the hang of both pretty soon.  And I nursed for 30 mos., although it dwindled to only morning, nap, and night.  Then just morning/night.  Then just night.  Then none.

JJA82
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I did both with my first and plan to do it again with this one. I never had any problems!!

GMom2011
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Agree with you. My son was never a tiny little bundle of joy, he was big from the get go. "wearing" him was about as comfortable as carrying a 20 lb sack of flour. I also held him plenty during his 2 hours at a time feedings. Getting up and putting him in a vibrating chair (which he loved) wasn't doing him any psychological damage while I took 15minutes to use the bathrom and maybe take a shower.

It seems for some women that when they have babies they cease to exist as a person. Just just become a giant boob and bounce house for the infant. They never get tired, they never need to use the bathroom, or shower, or eat, or grocery shop. Giant boobie cyborgs.

Quoting yperez0209:

First of all I need those moments to myself where I can complete a task without having the baby on me. I feel confident enough in my parenting style ( not saying that others are not ) that I don't feel guilt or the need to have the baby attached to me all the time.

Then there's the practical side of it. If I'm cleaning the bathroom, I don't know about you but there is nothing like good old bleach to clean a bathroom, I can't have the baby with me. Or even when cleaning surfaces or mopping I don't like the baby to be in the same room that I'm using chemicals. While cooking, it's just dangerous to be dealing with hot fire and food with a baby.

Then finally there is my issue with baby slings. I have issues with my shoulders and back because my breast are enourmus. I'm not heavy but I wear a G cup, so when I deliver I feel so much relief and wearing a sling brings it all back and worse because the baby gains weight.

Like I said it is not necessary to do anything in excess, my babies don't feel any less loved or neglected because I don't carry them around all the time. When they are being held I make it special and sing or play games with them.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

why not just wear your baby so you can do everything you want? thats what I do. I have an ergo.

not trying to bash your parenting style. just sayin.

Quoting yperez0209:

I don't hold my babies all the time. They get held when it's time to be held, I am also human and the more you hold them the more they want to be held. And when you have other children, a house, and a husband you also need sanity. There's nothing wrong with a swing or just plain crying it out for 5 minutes while I scrub a bathroom or drink some water. Everything in excess is not necessary. I held me first all the time after reading in a book that suggested that and I was miserable. With my other children I have found a balance between holding and not holding.

All my kids were exclusively breastfed and I found that if I messed with my routine by giving them formula my milk supply would go down. So, I tried to stick to the breastfeeding only. You're lucky that your able to go so many hours without feeding and not loosing your milk supply.

At the end of the day you've figured out something that works for you. And that's great, may women don't get to experience that peace of mind. 

BTW I also used the NUK bottles and nipples with most of my kids when I would pump and they were great. I didn't read everything that was posted here but, I would suggest you  trying a Medela pump, I think it can squeeze milk out of anything. The hospital grade one is the best. You can rent it. If not, formula works.

GMom2011
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I envy you. I was attached to some sort of boob sucking apparatus most of the day, either baby or pump, and it did NOTHING to increase my supply. The masters of the breastfeeding universe all told me it would...but it never did. Pretty much any advice I tried from the masters did not work on me. And I had a real expert working with me too... she told me she had never seen anyone work so hard to exclsively breast feed as I did and not have it work the way I wanted to... and if it weren't for her telling me that it was ok to give him formula, he's still hungry and I need to not be depressed and miserable trying to force my body into doing something its just not capable of. I wish I had done it much sooner. Any breast milk is better than none... and I feel for those who can't breastfeed at all.

Quoting RandiBear:

So, just a little tidbit for all you superior mothers who are the all-knowing about breasts and supply world wide.. if two bottles a day will ALWAYS hurt milk supply, answer me this; why is it that my son quit breastfeeding at six weeks (simply refused to take it all anymore, debate that if you want. I really don't care what you have to say about it) and I STILL have enough supply to feed a baby...and he turns 3 on Dec 18. I have no other children. Explain that to me, masters of the breastfeeding universe!

OP: Do what is right for you and your baby. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty. If your milk supply DOES begin to suffer there are herbal remedies to help rebuild supply. Ask your lactation consultant about them. You might even want to try some of them now if you would rather not use even as much formula as you currently do. This is YOUR child, from YOUR womb, and NOBODY on CafeMom has the right to make you feel like you are "less than" for doing what works for you and your family.

TerriAnne2606
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I'm glad you found something that works for you and makes you happy. Don't let those people who are bashing you get to you.  You need to do what's best not only for the baby but for you.

Hugz

hbeamy
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I loved breast feeding. As my baby got older and the time arouse for me to give her a bottle with formula I did. It all comes down to doing what is best for you and baby. Each situation is different and each baby is different. Listen to your gut with everything when raising a child. Pick and choose what works for you.  

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I bf and ff with my second.  It can be a slippery slope to not bfing at all if you're not careful.  In my case I said to hell with killing myself by pumping at work and gave formula for the babysitter.  I was able to pump enough for my firstborn but for some reason couldn't with my second.  He did get held less.  I think all second babies get less attention than the first.  However in many ways my firstborn is easier.  Ds9 has speech and language issues.  He's more stubborn.  He's sneaky and has been known to lie. He has to be watched when doing chores so they get done. Ds12 doesn't do any of those things.  He's honest and more responsible. Ds9 is imaginative, a dreamer, and has interesting ways of seeing the world.  I love them both but for different reasons, in essence.

GMom2011
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Ooof, that must of been one hell of a nasty diaper... (minced garlic baby poop)

Quoting elizabooks:

What did I learn? That dome kids won't fall asleep to "kid music or classical" some like
heavy metal.
That your child's first solid food doesn't have to be bsnanna or applesauce: it could be olives or beets. ( mine snagged a handfull of minced garlic and loved it)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured