Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who is wrong here?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

Okay so last Wednesday this little boy fell off his bike in front of my house.  I saw the whole thing and could see that his arm looked broken.  I had my dd move his bike out of the street and into the yard while I carried him home.  His parents asked me to just put the bike in my backyard until they got back to get it.  Well on Sunday I notice that the bike is no longer in the backyard and neither is my daughters bike.  So apparently they were stolen.  Now normally I lock the gate to the backyard...but they said they were going to come by and get the bike and since we weren't going to be home I unlocked it.  I told them it was unlocked and asked them to put the lock back on when they left.

Now they want to me pay to replace their kids bike.  Now had they come and got the bike when they said they were going to in the first place...which was last week...my gate would have been locked.  Then had they come the morning they texted before I had to leave...my gate would have been locked.  Now I am not blaming them.  But I don't feel I should replace their kids bike.  I already have to replace my dd's bike. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Oh, that's tough. I really have no idea!! Hopefully you can work something out with them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jmetz4
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM

not really sure. I mean shit happens. If I were them I would just get my son a new bike myself because its not your fault. I mean yes they could have gotten the bike and the gate would have been locked then. But neither you or the boys parents made someone steal the bikes. So no not your fault but I wouldn't say it is theirs either. Though I do understand they could have gotten the bike earlier.

SevenKisses
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's right of them. THEY could have been the ones to steal it for all you know! And you helped their poor son out! I think it's an asshole move of them to say that.

sarah427
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
They left it there a whole week? If so, you are NOT responsible. They should have been responsible and picked it up. You could have even left it by your front door, but you were nice enough to put it in the back. You having to leave it unlocked for them, caused your dd to have her bike stolen too. Shame on them for asking...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM

You should each replace your own child's bike. In the future if something like that happens, keep the gate locked and tell the person they can pick up their item when you are home

AF2011
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM

If they said they were going to pick it up when they got out of the hospital and they didn't it's their fault.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I don't think it should be your responsibility, and they sound a little grabby at this point.  Research some legal findings about stolen belongings on your property and throw it in their faces!

xanthian41691
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM

It's their fault and I don't think you should have to replace their kid's  bike.

BShip2010
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM
So did he break his arm?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I think they should replace it themselves; should've got it same day.

Legally, I think that since you agreed to store it you are responsible for replacing it. I'm not sure how much them not picking it up at the agreed upon time would affect that.

I guess this is me seeing the worst in ppl, but it could be poss they took off with both and want money on top of that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)