Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas is going to suck again this year...suggestions please.

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM
  • 30 Replies

This isn't a post about being broke.  Read on.  :)

Last year the house were renting flooded on Christmas eve.  The damage was pretty extensive and we had to move into a hotel (for several weeks).  We spent the better part of Christmas day apart so dh could remain at the house to let the plumbers and other contractors in.  Our Christmas meal came from Dennys because nothing else was open.  My dd enjoyed opening her gifts, but knew it was not the same. She actually said it was the "worst Christmas ever."

This year we are moving cross country a few days after Christmas.  However, the movers will be coming before and we'll spend Christmas day in a house with nothing in it.  There's no point in putting up a tree that will be taken down before Christmas day and I'm hesitant to purchase a lot of gifts that we will have to haul with us since we will already be cramped for space. I don't really get into Christmas other than for my dd.  Our families are on the other side of the country and stopping to visit along the way isn't really an option since I need to get to work at my new job as soon as possible. 

Should I postpone Christmas and do a big set up, etc. once we are settled?  (We will be living in a hotel until we find somewhere else to live after the move). 

My dd is 9 and does not believe in Santa.  She knows that Christmas is about family and not presents.  I just hate the fact that last year's Christmas was ruined for her and this year she's leaving her friends, her school, and everything she has ever known behind.  I want to do something special for her to soften the blow a little bit but I don't know what. 

Any suggestions?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamom01
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM

BUMP!

funnymom32
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Is there something for Christmas that she REALLY wants and has been asking for??? I would get it for her!  I moved across country in February of 2nd grade, it really sucked!!  What about having her friends over to spend the night before you leave?  That would be really special to her. 

mamom01
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Not really.  That's what makes gift giving so hard for her.  She doesn't ask for much.

I've thought about having a going away party for her at her dojo.  They close for two weeks during the Holidays so I don't know if I can pull it off.  I am working on a scrapbook for her with pictures of her progress there over the last two years.  I also plan on taking pictures of the kids she met there and asking them to write her a little note to put in it. 

The sleepover is a good idea, but there won't be any furniture in the house.  The movers will be here before then.  :(

Quoting funnymom32:

Is there something for Christmas that she REALLY wants and has been asking for??? I would get it for her!  I moved across country in February of 2nd grade, it really sucked!!  What about having her friends over to spend the night before you leave?  That would be really special to her. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Why not celebrate a few weeks earlier??

mamom01
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this

That's probably the most obvious thing to do.  I honestly hadn't even thought about that! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Why not celebrate a few weeks earlier??

funnymom32
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

They could bring their sleeping bags and have a "camp out."  Are you close with any of her friends' parents and can have a small sleep over at their house?

Quoting mamom01:

Not really.  That's what makes gift giving so hard for her.  She doesn't ask for much.

I've thought about having a going away party for her at her dojo.  They close for two weeks during the Holidays so I don't know if I can pull it off.  I am working on a scrapbook for her with pictures of her progress there over the last two years.  I also plan on taking pictures of the kids she met there and asking them to write her a little note to put in it. 

The sleepover is a good idea, but there won't be any furniture in the house.  The movers will be here before then.  :(

Quoting funnymom32:

Daya81
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

celebrate at a later time and go all out!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Yes postpone it. Can you go to some kind of theme park on christmas?

Hutersmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Even better lol tell them to pack their sleeping bags and see if you can keep one tv or borrow a neighbors let them have a party and do what girls do dance run play and make overs play music and karaoke

Quoting mamom01:

Quoting funnymom32:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamom01
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Yes.  I'll ask around and see. 

Quoting funnymom32:

They could bring their sleeping bags and have a "camp out."  Are you close with any of her friends' parents and can have a small sleep over at their house?

Quoting mamom01:

Quoting funnymom32:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured