Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It just really chaps my hide {MIL + Christmas related}

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I know this is going to sound like I am not being grateful, but it is just really frustrating to me. 

My MIL was at my house recently and we were discussing my son's christmas gifts. We were talking about a specific grouping of toys when I exclaimed that he doesn't need another toy in this group - over and over again (he has a staggering amount of toys in this toy group), and I stated that *I* didn't want him having anymore.  We also talked about how we are intentionally keeping Christmas small, because somehow, our son has become obsessed with presents (he is a toddler/young preschool aged), this isn't a quality we admire, and he has PLENTY of toys in his life.  

.....So what did she do? SHE WENT OUT AND BOUGHT HIM SPECIFICALLY WHAT I SAID HE DIDN'T NEED ANYMORE OF. I know, I know, first world problems, but that doesn't mean it isn't annoying. It just really makes me frustrated. GAH! She bought it to keep at her house, but he already has one for our house, I would of rather given ours to her to keep there.

It is just a common thread of little disrespectful things (but then at the same time, she does it out of love, and she does so much for us, that is truly appreciated) this is just such a stark contrast and just SO FREAKING ANNOYING.  He doesn't need all of these material objects . 

We bought him a bike for his (early) birthday she bought him one. Does a kid need two bikes? NO! It is just so ....grrr....

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM

wine only makes me more angry. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM
I feel like you are talking about my MIL! she does the same exact things all the time. No advice, just wanted too let you know you are kot alone.
Keara20
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM
My mil wanted to buy my 15 month old a professional drawing table. I was like, really??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM
I think it is reasonable. She bought him something he wants, but out of respect for your wishes, she will be keeping it at her house...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM
So donate it if ur ungreatful someone else will be greatful ..alot of kids get noting
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM

THANK YOU! Okay, so, I know this isn't a travesy, and we will all survive - but it is just. GGRRR. 

THANK YOU.

I had almost forgiven her or showing up at the hospital when we specifically asked. On no uncertain terms. At all. That NO ONE (we have a lot of family - it would have been a mess) come to the hospital until we called. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I feel like you are talking about my MIL! she does the same exact things all the time. No advice, just wanted too let you know you are kot alone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I would love to! I would LOVE too. That doesn't erase what has transpired. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So donate it if ur ungreatful someone else will be greatful ..alot of kids get noting

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM

In theory, I totally agree, but this is a common theme that keeps popping up that isn't just present related, this just kind of gets tossed into the pile if you know what I mean?

It isn't specifically that she bought him this object, it is that continued path of us saying something as parents and her "screw it, I will do what I want" attitude.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is reasonable. She bought him something he wants, but out of respect for your wishes, she will be keeping it at her house...

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM
I check all toys from family before giving them to my kids. The only exception is my oma because her gifts are handmade.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)