Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you do Christmas with both sides of the family?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

Growing up we would spend one Christmas at home with close family friends, and the next year we would go to Va to vist my mom and dads family, so on and so forth. Their parents lived close to each other so it was easy.

On me and DH's first Christmas, we flew back home seperatly. He flew to his family and I flew to mine, because he's in the military and because we both hadn't seen our families in a while, so that's what we decided. Then our second Christmas he was deployed so I spent it with my family. And this year we are together and not flying anywhere because we don't have the money this year.

Well next year we will be back in the states (FINALLY lol) and on the east coast. My family is in VA and his is in MI. And I have no clue how we are going to do this. I don't always want to spend Christmas seperate just so we can spend it with our families. 

And to make matters a little more complicated, my daughter has to spend time with dad and he lives in SC, for Christmas as well (I've lived in SC all my life, that why her dad is there, my parents moved to Va after I had my daughter)

So I have no idea how I'm going to do this. Any suggestions? What do you guys do??

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krissy920
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:23 AM

I honestly dont really know. We lived in hawaii for 7 years ( we got married there) and are now in england. My family is east coast and his is in texas.I  think  what we will do when we get staioned back   in the states is probably have christmas at our own house. Its our tradition now. We can do thanksgiving at one family house and easter at another. Or  rotate what  holidays we do  at  each persons house.  My husband likes to stay home and  we have 2  kids so im hoping our families will spend  a few holidays with us at our home :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:26 AM

We're in Hawaii right now :) What base were you guys at? I know this has nothing to do with the post lol..I just thought it was cool you were stationed here. 

Quoting krissy920:

I honestly dont really know. We lived in hawaii for 7 years ( we got married there) and are now in england. My family is east coast and his is in texas.I  think  what we will do when we get staioned back   in the states is probably have christmas at our own house. Its our tradition now. We can do thanksgiving at one family house and easter at another. Or  rotate what  holidays we do  at  each persons house.  My husband likes to stay home and  we have 2  kids so im hoping our families will spend  a few holidays with us at our home :)

krissy920
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:27 AM

we were at hickam afb  2004- till july 2011. We are now at lakenheath afb  :) Where are you guys at?

Quoting Anonymous:

We're in Hawaii right now :) What base were you guys at? I know this has nothing to do with the post lol..I just thought it was cool you were stationed here. 

Quoting krissy920:

rockinmomto2
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:32 AM

I grew up in Hawaii, so having to visit family for the holidays was out of the question (they're on the east coast). We now live in VA and spend the holidays with my mom. DHs family is not a part of our lives, so I guess that makes it simpler. Sometimes extended family comes down (my aunt, uncle, and grandmother are coming for Christmas), but sometimes they don't. I think the most important thing is to make your own traditions or invite your families to you. Or rotate holidays every year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Oh ok yeah I know where that is :) We're at Schofield. We leave in June, I can't wait lol..It's beautiful here and all but I'm ready to get out of here lol. Do you like it where your at now?

Quoting krissy920:

we were at hickam afb  2004- till july 2011. We are now at lakenheath afb  :) Where are you guys at?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting krissy920:

krissy920
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:35 AM

Love england so much,  try for overseas if you want to travel.. in this year and ahalf ive been to  france, denmark, finland sweeden estornia russia, italy greece and turkey.. planning on ireland and scotland  in a few weeks!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh ok yeah I know where that is :) We're at Schofield. We leave in June, I can't wait lol..It's beautiful here and all but I'm ready to get out of here lol. Do you like it where your at now?

Quoting krissy920:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting krissy920:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Someone else that lived in Hawaii haha...small world. I never meet anyone on here that lived here. What part of Va are you guys in? If you don't mind me asking. All my family live in Martinsville, a little hole in the wall type town lol. But anyways, yeah I thought about inviting family to come visit us, but I don't think dh family would do that, bc the rest of his family always go to his parents, so that would mess up everyone elses Christmas I guess, and my parents don't like my DH very much. So I guess we will have to do it on our own. We might go to his hometown next Christmas though, because it's been a few years since he's been home, and I went this year. So I think he kinda deserves it. So I guess I just answered my own question huh lol...I just thought about it. 

Quoting rockinmomto2:

I grew up in Hawaii, so having to visit family for the holidays was out of the question (they're on the east coast). We now live in VA and spend the holidays with my mom. DHs family is not a part of our lives, so I guess that makes it simpler. Sometimes extended family comes down (my aunt, uncle, and grandmother are coming for Christmas), but sometimes they don't. I think the most important thing is to make your own traditions or invite your families to you. Or rotate holidays every year.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:40 AM
Eh. His family is in Wisconsin and mine is in Kentucky so we stay home for the holidays. It's easier than having to choose whose family were going to see. It's worked out for the past 2 years! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Oh, I would love to do that!!! We want to go over there for that reason. But we were thinking since we've spent this term away from family, that we would pcs some where closer to home, than next time go over seas, then back home...and so on. Your so lucky to be able to travel like that and see all those awesome places!! I hope to one day do that!!

Quoting krissy920:

Love england so much,  try for overseas if you want to travel.. in this year and ahalf ive been to  france, denmark, finland sweeden estornia russia, italy greece and turkey.. planning on ireland and scotland  in a few weeks!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting krissy920:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting krissy920:

rockinmomto2
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:42 AM

It is a small world! I grew up in Kailua and we moved to Fredericksburg (about 50 miles south of DC) when I was in high school. Dealing with two different familys can be hard, but as long as compromise is involved, I'm sure it'll be fine!

Quoting Anonymous:

Someone else that lived in Hawaii haha...small world. I never meet anyone on here that lived here. What part of Va are you guys in? If you don't mind me asking. All my family live in Martinsville, a little hole in the wall type town lol. But anyways, yeah I thought about inviting family to come visit us, but I don't think dh family would do that, bc the rest of his family always go to his parents, so that would mess up everyone elses Christmas I guess, and my parents don't like my DH very much. So I guess we will have to do it on our own. We might go to his hometown next Christmas though, because it's been a few years since he's been home, and I went this year. So I think he kinda deserves it. So I guess I just answered my own question huh lol...I just thought about it. 

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)