Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids and Facebook accounts - EDIT at bottom of OP

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM
  • 33 Replies

I have 3 kids, ages 4, 13, and nearly 18. 

My husband and I have allowed our older girls to have FB accounts, and we'd monitor their "walls" every once in a while.

However, a few weeks ago, my eldest unfriended me.  This concerned me, but I thought, "She's old enough to have her own FB account and if she doesn't want to be my friend, so be it."

But, some family members of mine who have teenagers said they require their child's password to the account so they can monitor it and keep their child safe.

What are your thoughts?

My eldest is a Senior in high school.

Okay, so for the 13yo, I should have the PW, but for my Senior in high school (who's nearly 18,) don't worry about it?

What about the fact that she unfriended me recently? Should I be concerned?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bitterroot
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM

My son is 9 and wants a facebook realy bad and  I won't let him..he needs to be a teenager first I Think.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM

My oldest two have accounts and I have their passwords. They don't get on facebook that much though. Maybe once a year?

Megan11587
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think 18 is a little old to monitor unless she has a history of making poor decisions.

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM

If you can't trust them to use Facebook on their own without you monitoring their every move by the time they are about to graduate high school and soon to be out on their own, then they shouldn't be allowed internet access.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM
she's 18. leave her alone...
Bitterroot
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

My son is 9 and wants a facebook realy bad and  I won't let him..he needs to be a teenager first I Think.

I think my middle daughter was about 9 when I let her have one.  I was very diligent in setting up the privacy settings and monitoring her FB account for a very long time.

Now that she's 13, I just peek at it from time to time.  She doesn't realize that I can type in the first letter to her name in the FB log in and all of her password info automatically pops up, so I can check it that way, too.  She's been a good girl, posting about fairies and horses and dogs.

BUT, my eldest figured out that the computer will save that information, and I don't have access to hers.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as my kids are under my roof, I will have their pw and monitor their account.  Other kids etc post somet horrid stuff on their kids account. I will not access said account unless I have reason to but I will have the pw etc for their safety.

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Wtf she's just about a adult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oceana09
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

She is 18 years old. I wouldn't require a password from her. The 13 year old however, I would request that she give you her password. I get friend requests from guys all the time on facebook that I don't know. They prowl, so if she's an attractive 13 year old and the wrong person starts sending her messages, at least that way you would know about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN