Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Quitting babysitting... how do I do it?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM
  • 9 Replies

I babysit for a 2 year old from 5:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Monday through Friday and her sister who is 8 from 3 PM- 6 PM. Monday through Friday. He only pays me 200.00 A MONTH. No food, no milk, nothing. He sends them dirty and dressed wrong. The thing is, his children have had lice 6 times this year already ( I wonder if he ever got rid of it completely). Now they have it again ( School nurse cleared my kiddos) I do not want to watch them anymore, I do not want to bathe them, feed them, homework, school events etc. And I really do not want the lice in my house. How do I go about telling him? If I did continue watching them, how much SHOULD I be paid for the hours, food, etc? Thanks ladies

Proud Army wife and SAHM to seven! christmas treeholding ornaments

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Give him two weeks notice. This is why I will not babysit. Sadly, too many people take advantage.

nellyb118
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Just tell him I can no longer watch them, but give him at least a week to find a new sitter.
$200 a month is insulting!
When I babysat I was paid $10/hour. Plus I didn't provide food.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bitterroot
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Each state is different in rate of pay, but I pay about half of my mortgage for ONE child in daycare, which works out to about $850/month for one child.

You could talk to the father about the health & cleanliness issues.  Sounds like he is a single dad and really, really struggling.

Sometimes, it's more important to be that important someone in a person's life, despite the fact that they can be a drain on your energies.

Bitterroot
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM

BTW, he may qualify for reduced childcare through the State?  Have him apply and find a registered sitter.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Tell him that it's not working out and give him 2 weeks to find someone else.

cholita1978
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Just give him like a two weeks notice, and $ 200 a month WTF!!! I was paying 205.00 a week, even now that dd is in school I still gotta pay for an after school program that is $400.00 a month.

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I pay $500 a month for one child full time, and one child after school only. And that is, apparently, a very low rate. (Although in my area, it is pretty much the average daycare cost so I'm not ripping my sitter off, FYI.) $200 is crap. I would tell him that he either needs to pay you more, or you're giving him your 2 weeks notice.

Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I would give a standard two-weeks notice and best wishes and be done with it.

I wouldn't put up with that for any amount of money.

You've been a trooper for sure!

GLO682
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

i would give a two week notice so that they can find some other childcare options.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)