Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Good with spelling and grammar? Help me make sure this is correct before I post it.

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

I don't want to post my reply and get ripped to shreds for my bad use of the English language.  If you need more context as to why I'm posting this particular paragraph I will add in the rest of the conversation.

My post is in response to why some people put a comma before the word and.

Should there be a comma in between response and because?

Here it is:

The only reason why I put an n in dilemma is that's how I was taught.  I don't do it anymore, but I provided a link with my previous response because I knew I would be questioned on it.  The reason why I didn't put a comma before and is because that's how I was taught.  I do now, some of the time.  For the most part my grammar, punctuation, and spelling is good enough to convey my message.

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I can't really make a separate paragraph for the 3rd sentence, even though I feel it should be.

mich.el.le
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I don't think a comma is needed.  Not totally sure though.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Should there be a comma after "For the most part"?  And maybe put quotation marks around the "and" where it says, "a comma before and is because....".  I was a bit confused by that sentence and had to read it a few times to understand what you were saying.

Maybe write the whole thing out like this:
The reason why I put an N in dilemma is because that's how I was taught. I no longer spell it that way, but I did provide a link with my previous response in case I was questioned about it. The reason why I didn't put a comma before "and" is because that is how I was taught. For the most part, my grammar, punctuation, and spelling are good enough to convey my message.

dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think so either, but I keep second guessing myself.  I'm putting way too much thought into this one stupid paragraph (and trying not to look like I put too much thought into it).

Quoting mich.el.le:

I don't think a comma is needed.  Not totally sure though.

SusieQue717
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Use a comma to separate the elements in a series (three or more things), including the last two. "He hit the ball, dropped the bat, and ran to first base." You may have learned that the comma before the "and" is unnecessary, which is fine if you're in control of things. However, there are situations in which, if you don't use this comma (especially when the list is complex or lengthy), these last two items in the list will try to glom together (like macaroni and cheese). Using a comma between all the items in a series, including the last two, avoids this problem. This last comma—the one between the word "and" and the preceding word—is often called the serial comma or the Oxford comma. In newspaper writing, incidentally, you will seldom find a serial comma, but that is not necessarily a sign that it should be omitted in academic prose.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Dilemma has an 'n'? I'm confused.
dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

That looks pretty good, thank you.  If it wasn't on Facebook, I might have italicized or underlined the "and" to differentiate it, but I can't do that.  I did think about quotes too. And thank you for the revision.

I don't want to be an asshole about it, nor come off as being defensive.  I just want to explain why I did what I did.

Quoting Anonymous:

Should there be a comma after "For the most part"?  And maybe put quotation marks around the "and" where it says, "a comma before and is because....".  I was a bit confused by that sentence and had to read it a few times to understand what you were saying.

Maybe write the whole thing out like this:
The reason why I put an N in dilemma is because that's how I was taught. I no longer spell it that way, but I did provide a link with my previous response in case I was questioned about it. The reason why I didn't put a comma before "and" is because that is how I was taught. For the most part, my grammar, punctuation, and spelling are good enough to convey my message.

dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM

It doesn't, but by mistake some people (including me) have been taught this.  Here's a link to a short article on it.

http://www.dilemna.info/index.php

Quoting Anonymous:

Dilemma has an 'n'? I'm confused.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Thanks

Quoting SusieQue717:

Use a comma to separate the elements in a series (three or more
things), including the last two. "He hit the ball, dropped the bat, and
ran to first base." You may have learned that the comma before the "and"
is unnecessary, which is fine if you're in control of things. However,
there are situations in which, if you don't use this comma (especially
when the list is complex or lengthy), these last two items in the list
will try to glom together (like macaroni and cheese). Using a comma
between all the items in a series, including the last two, avoids this problem. This last comma—the one between the word "and" and the preceding word—is often called the serial comma or the Oxford comma.
In newspaper writing, incidentally, you will seldom find a serial
comma, but that is not necessarily a sign that it should be omitted in
academic prose.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Quoting dandylynes:

I don't want to post my reply and get ripped to shreds for my bad use of the English language.  If you need more context as to why I'm posting this particular paragraph I will add in the rest of the conversation.

My post is in response to why some people put a comma before the word and.

Should there be a comma in between response and because?

Here it is:

The only reason why I put an n in dilemma is that's how I was taught.  I don't do it anymore, but I provided a link with my previous response because I knew I would be questioned on it.  The reason why I didn't put a comma before and is because that's how I was taught.  I do now, some of the time.  For the most part my grammar, punctuation, and spelling is good enough to convey my message.

For the most part, my grammar, punctuation and spelling are good enough to convey my message.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN