Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

IBS Moms?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

Are there any moms in here with IBS? I have a couple questions:

1. What are some of the symptoms?

2. How do you manage it?

Thanks

holding ornaments

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arimaur
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM

i used to suffer from IBS...um, my symptoms were severe stomach pain...like i had to release gas or was going to have the runs.  it was horrible, i started with that in middle school and i didn't see an actual dr until i was in high school.  they gave me a rx for protonix (which worked wonders).  some days i was able to go normally, other days i couldn't go at all and then there were days that i would constantly run to the bathroom :( 

not sure if that helps, but i guess mine was a more severe IBS case. 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

happy41ce
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

yes! Terrible stomach pains, and I cannot even go out to eat w/o almost shipping myself on the way home. :( It SUCKS. everything I eat hurts my stomach.

When I get nervous it flairs up too.

Managing it: Meds are not working so its something I deal with. I stay at home alot. :(

Want a CUSTOM Christmas Ornament? Visit my shop to see what I have to offer!!! Cut Off Date is 12/11 to be sure I can get it to you by Christmas!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Thanks!

I think I may have this, and was just wondering what the symptoms were. It seems I can't eat anything anymore, without it making me sick to my stomach, have stomach pains and horrible gas, and run to the bathroom. Looks like it is time to visit the doc.

Quoting arimaur:

i used to suffer from IBS...um, my symptoms were severe stomach pain...like i had to release gas or was going to have the runs.  it was horrible, i started with that in middle school and i didn't see an actual dr until i was in high school.  they gave me a rx for protonix (which worked wonders).  some days i was able to go normally, other days i couldn't go at all and then there were days that i would constantly run to the bathroom :( 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I haven't had problems when I am nervous. But this seems to be happening to me on a nearly every day occurance.

Quoting happy41ce:

yes! Terrible stomach pains, and I cannot even go out to eat w/o almost shipping myself on the way home. :( It SUCKS. everything I eat hurts my stomach.

Managing it: Meds are not working so its something I deal with. I stay at home alot. :(

arimaur
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM
yes, most definitely time to see the dr. hope your visit with the dr helps :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks!

I think I may have this, and was just wondering what the symptoms were. It seems I can't eat anything anymore, without it making me sick to my stomach, have stomach pains and horrible gas, and run to the bathroom. Looks like it is time to visit the doc.

Quoting arimaur:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Same here

Quoting happy41ce:

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

We dont know if its IBS.. we know its not celiacs and likely not Crohns so its a tenative diagnosis.

*****GIANT WARNING THIS MAY BE TMI*****

I poop. A LOT.

Some days I have diarrhea so bad I'm in the bathroom 14 hours and have to go to the ER for dehydration, then for the week after I wont poop at all.

When I get diarrhea I vomit (well, I try to vomit my lapband wont let me anymore) and its horrifically painful.

I mean like labor contractions with morning sickness while having liquid fire shoot out of your butt for 12 hours.

I break out in sweats, its TERRIBLE.

The only thing I've found so far is SOMETIMES onions trigger it (or horseradish) and apple juice and grape juice. More than a cup of apple and I'm at the ER, more than a SIP of grape I'm in the ER.

Its terrible. Ive pooped myself a few times.. it sucked. I didnt even know it happened til I felt it run down my leg.

That hasnt happened in over a year (it happened 2x, two months in a row) and I pray it never does again.

I mean when I get the pain... I have about 2 minutes to find a bathroom, 10 if I'm lucky.

I bring wipes, Lomotil and Bentyl EVERYWHERE I go along with infant gas drops (simethicone, the drops work faster) and take Welchol 4x a day to try to stop it up.

The welchol is helping so far.

Sorry if its TMI.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Thank you for sharing. Mine isn't this bad, but it is bad enough that I am uncomfortable for at least 6 hours of my day. Not easy to deal with that when I am at work, since I really should be at my desk. It really is beginning to suck.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

We dont know if its IBS.. we know its not celiacs and likely not Crohns so its a tenative diagnosis.

I poop. A LOT.

Some days I have diarrhea so bad I'm in the bathroom 14 hours and have to go to the ER for dehydration, then for the week after I wont poop at all.

When I get diarrhea I vomit (well, I try to vomit my lapband wont let me anymore) and its horrifically painful.

I mean like labor contractions with morning sickness while having liquid fire shoot out of your butt for 12 hours.

The only thing I've found so far is SOMETIMES onions trigger it (or horseradish) and apple juice and grape juice. More than a cup of apple and I'm at the ER, more than a SIP of grape I'm in the ER.

Its terrible. Ive pooped myself a few times.. it sucked. I didnt even know it happened til I felt it run down my leg.

That hasnt happened in over a year (it happened 2x, two months in a row) and I pray it never does again.

I mean when I get the pain... I have about 2 minutes to find a bathroom, 10 if I'm lucky.

I bring wipes, Lomotil and Bentyl EVERYWHERE I go along with infant gas drops (simethicone, the drops work faster) and take Welchol 4x a day to try to stop it up.

Sorry if its TMI.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I have IBS. I had to have a colonoscopy to confirm it. Mine is IBS with constipation so I am very costipated. I use benefiber to help it. I am seeing a GI the 20th and he could put me on something. Google IBS.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

No problem.

Honestly its gotten progressively worse over the last few years. I mean I think last year was one of the worst. I used to just be extra careful and take the lomotil daily and no problems.

I honestly hated working with the diarrhea, I did nursing care and if I had an episode while I was doing rounds, I had to hold it or delay care ,neither of which are good options.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you for sharing. Mine isn't this bad, but it is bad enough that I am uncomfortable for at least 6 hours of my day. Not easy to deal with that when I am at work, since I really should be at my desk. It really is beginning to suck.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

I poop. A LOT.

Sorry if its TMI.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN