Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers do not require a gift *EDIT*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

EDIT

Nice chat and responses. Beautiful to see Goodwill is not dead in this day and age. Extending acts of gratitude can very often deepen their convictions about what they do in their lives on the daily basis.

Happy Holidays to all!!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
Mesh2
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

We do not require them, but we do appreciate them :) 

Blessedlife79
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM
12 moms liked this

You obviously have no idea how much teachers do and how little they make for that work. How much unpaid time they spend planning and grading. How much they spend out of pocket for the class. I buy my daughters teacher (as well as her past teachers!) a gift evey year. It's called respect and gratitude :) And its well deserved!

FL2AK
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM
I actually agree. As a counselor it is unethical of me to accept gifts of any kind from clients. I don't see why teachers are different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Of course it's not required, but it's fun to give:)

WheelerWife
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM
5 moms liked this

You're right. They don't "require" a gift, but I like to teach my children the joy of giving.

And who better to give to than a person they spend so much time with? 

If you don't wanna give your kids' teacher a gift, that's fine. But don't rain on my parade. 

.ChiMama.
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM
I'm pretty sure she doesn't expect it. I'm sure she would love your kid to make her something more than something store bought.

Quoting Lady_In_Ink:

This is a new thing to me. Does my son's K teacher expect a gift? I mean, I don't think getting her a gift is a bad thing, but I am poor, man. Lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mewebb82
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Nobody requires a gift, or at least they shouldn't. That would be horribly rude and inappropriate. It is a nice gesture for someone who is so involved in your child's life so I will get my kids' teachers gifts. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM

ANYONE appreciates a gift or a card.  Teachers are NOT special.  They chose their profession and are paid.

Quoting Anonymous:

Teachers never expect a gift, but they always appreciate one should you choose to give one. Even a card is nice. 

Quoting Lady_In_Ink:

This is a new thing to me. Does my son's K teacher expect a gift? I mean, I don't think getting her a gift is a bad thing, but I am poor, man. Lol.

brittany208
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I am a brand new teacher. I do not *expect* a gift by any means... but I also know what a crazy amount of extra time I put in before and after school and going above and beyond expectations on a regular basis. So I completely understand giving teachers a small token of appreciation for all they do above and beyond what is required/expected.

Lady_In_Ink
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM
Thank you :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Teachers never expect a gift, but they always appreciate one should you choose to give one. Even a card is nice. 

Quoting Lady_In_Ink:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)