CafeMom is experiencing issues that should be resolved soon
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers do not require a gift *EDIT*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

EDIT

Nice chat and responses. Beautiful to see Goodwill is not dead in this day and age. Extending acts of gratitude can very often deepen their convictions about what they do in their lives on the daily basis.

Happy Holidays to all!!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
iheartmiboys
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Sad. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I simply disagree, but thank you for your kind response.

Quoting Thelmama:

Because I appreciate what the teachers do for our kids. All of ours go above and beyond work. They take stuff with them, call or email when kids are sick and much more. They work with kids and don't just teach the subjects. They care for them and make the kids like learning.  Do you know if you count up the hours a teacher works they get paid next to nothing.  They are still working after they go home. Summers, yes they are doing things to prepare for the next year.  Mine don't require a gift.  We make something and it is simple and cute and every teacher has loved it and kept it.  Our kids should appreciate what their teachers do and so should we as parents.

Rbrown72707
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM

You're right.  I'm a teacher and I certainly don't "require" a gift.  But, if someone wants to give me one, it would be extremely rude to turn it down.  It's not necessary and my feelings are not hurt if I get nothing. 

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I just got the paper for my youngest DDs "class gift" from the class mom...she wants 25.00 per kid. ROFLMAO! Not happening....on top of that, same teacher will not allow the class to have parties for holidays, but made sure that the flier made it into each of their backpacks for her gift.

We only do gifts at the end of the year and it is usually a small Starbucks gift card and a mug and only through elementary school....

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I give all my college professors a gift.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Our school asks that we donate school supplies if we WANT to send a gift. It is not required.

brittany208
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

If you only have X dollars to spend and want to save it for the homeless--go ahead. But the way I see it... you can improve a homeless man's situation a little and thats nice. but teachers work every day to impact 30-200 lives and keep that many children educated and away from homelessness.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd much rather save my goodwill for someone that is truly in need by giving to someone in need that is hungry or homeless and not some paid professional with a degree. JMO

Quoting MichelleJ1000:

How about because they are under paid and put up with a lot of bull from other people's kids and showing them some appreciation will probably make them feel good. It doesn't have to be expensive, a $5 gift card to starbucks or sommething is nice.

carter210
Nice spinoff!!

Like I said its not required but its a nice thing to do. I appreciate my son's teacher so I buy a gift.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
2 moms liked this
If my child cares enough for their teacher, to want to want them to get a gift, then we do. Teachers are many things...sometimes inspiring and even life changing.

Some people give gifts to their mailman, dr. office...and any number of other professions. No one can tell you who is important enough, in your life, to receive a gift.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
embrigmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM

If you don't want to give one then don't. But don't come on here bitching about it! Some people choose to give gifts to their child's teacher to show apperciation for what the teacher does. Teachers do not expect to be given gifts.

When I worked in daycare a lot of the parents gave us gifts at christmas time. I never expected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)