Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers do not require a gift *EDIT*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

EDIT

Nice chat and responses. Beautiful to see Goodwill is not dead in this day and age. Extending acts of gratitude can very often deepen their convictions about what they do in their lives on the daily basis.

Happy Holidays to all!!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Replies (541-549):
mommaboudreaux
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:39 AM

I think it is a nice thing to do!

baileymarie723
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM
I think it is a nice thought, but we are told not to send a gift for the teacher with our kids because it can make the children whose parents cannot afford to get the teacher a gift feel bad for not giving one also.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
jyofray
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Mixed feelings about this one...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 79 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM
I hear "how do you do it?" all the time! Lol kinder is tough;) They are a squirrely bunch. The things they say and do keep me laughing and on my toes. One of my favorite moments- I told a student that her mom is pretty. Her reply was "only with her makeup on" LOL

Quoting embrigmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Well said. I sit on both sides, as a parent (one has a learning disability) and as a special ed teacher. I don't expect anything, and I do what I can during the holidays for my children's teachers on my tight budget. I see what we have to deal with and I appreciate all the hard work that teachers do. Do we love our job? Yes. Are we here because it pays the big bucks and gives us perks of holiday gifts? No. The gifts that have meant the world to me are not those that have monetary value. It's that handwritten note from a 5 year old from the child that struggled with writing. The pictures drawn by one of my favorite students that loves the Beatles and drew them. The tee shirt that the whole kinder class signed.....now THAT'S a gift! Kudos to the parent that was able to get 30 signatures (on three shirts at that) without being seen doing it. The note is on my mirror, the pictures in a special folder, and the shirt I wear.

Quoting embrigmom:

If you don't want to give one then don't. But don't come on here bitching about it! Some people choose to give gifts to their child's teacher to show apperciation for what the teacher does. Teachers do not expect to be given gifts.

When I worked in daycare a lot of the parents gave us gifts at christmas time. I never expected.

One of the best things I got was a Thank you and I don't know how you do it from a parent.

kelliewhitney
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I loved getting cards from students, especially if the parents included a note about things they apprecaited about me as a teacher. 1 sheet of paper plus crayons = a thrilled teacher.

GypsyMom2012
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Lol, OMG. I was on my phone and dd was autocorrected to dads... Go figure!

Quoting Anonymous:

Why the hell would you be giving anything to your dad's teacher?

Quoting GypsyMom2012:

I make good money but my dad's teacher makes quite a not more than I do. I don't gift to teachers.

LACHESIS
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:36 AM
I asked his teacher likes and dislikes. She said the best thing was letting her know how she influenced my son. I have on the good list, chocolates, dr pepper and gift cards to Walmart or Target. The no go was coffee. We will be going out this weekend :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
workingmommy22
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I work in a daycare. What I do though, is teach kids early, so that when they start school, they're ready and prepared for what they have to do. I do not expect a single thing, but let me tell you, I would be so extremely grateful if a parent brought in a $5 gift card to Starbucks. It may be small, but it means that the parents care about what I do.

jujubear1
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

DD told me at the last minute that she wanted to give her teacher a gift.  We ran to Walmart, grabbed some chocolate and a gift bag and called it good.  It doesn't have to be a big or expensive gift.  I'm sure her teacher appreciated it.  Chocolate was even on her "likes" list.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)