Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How much does your 4 year old weigh?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My DS is over 40" I'd say 41-42. He weighs 45lbs but has always been solid, not fat. Broad shoulders and all. The preschool sent home a letter saying he is in the obese range. Wtf? His doctor said he is average in both weight and height! He doesn't eat a ton of junk or anything really for that matter. I'm a little upset about it.

ETA***** picture on pg 5
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Replies (91-99):
mss119
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:00 AM
If you're 5'9", and he is 4'7" (55 inches), he's only 14 inches shorter than you?? And I thought my oldest was tall at 47 inches! Wow!

Quoting Aydans_Mommy:

I know! I'm 5'9" and he comes up to my belly. He'll be taller than by the time he's 10.

Quoting atyou:

Wow...so tall!

My daughter is 43" and 4. I thought she was tall!

Quoting Aydans_Mommy:

55inches 54lbs.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:04 AM

My 4 year old son is 4'0" and 78 lbs. I've asked his doctor because I don't want him to be heavy (I've been big my entire life). His doctor said he's fine and that he isn't going to worry about it until he's a little older. This is something that worries me about him starting school next year. The schools want to control everything now and I think they're overstepping their boundaries. 

Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM

42 inches tall and 40 or maybe 41 by now lbs.

She looks normal to me, not bulky nor skinny.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Your son looks normal and healthy.

They probably did a stupid BMI calculation that does not mean anything at all in terms of health. I would send them back a letter or speak to them in person in a firm manner!

LucyHarper
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:13 AM

My four year old is turning five in a month, he's 40 inches and 37 pounds. For your son, they are probably only looking at his percentile, not his body type, they are probably required to send something home if hes above a certain percentile, just in case, even if he's healthy and isn't obese at all.

Amiehart62
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:46 AM

My twins on either side just turned three and are 40 lbs and 40 inch tall...just so no one says they're fat I thought I would put a pics up. Kids grow at different rates. There isn't an ounce of fat on either of my boys. (They turned three in October) it doesn't sound like your son is obese...your doctor would show concern if he were.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:55 AM

my guy will turn 4 in about 6 weeks... he is very very small.. weighs 24 pounds and 34 inches tall

sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:58 AM

My son's 4 (his birthday is in May). He's somewhere around 48" ... I wanna say 44 or 46", but I can't remember for sure now....he was just weighed today, and he's 55 pounds. He's not fat though. He's just solid. And very, very strong. 

prissypoptart
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Lol.. whatever you say anon. He really looks obese. Lmfao. Since you are a pediatrician and all... maybe you can tell me why his dr hasnt said anything to me about it?

Quoting Anonymous:

No, your son is obese. Stop the sugarcoating.

Quoting prissypoptart:

Sorry I had to edit, he isnt 75 lbs he is 65 lbs now and I catch hell for it too. I think people assume a child is fat and dont consider muscle or bone density. My son is thick and strong.

Quoting Aydans_Mommy:

He is adorable! If people don't see a pic of him do they assume he's overweight? I know they do with my son when I tell people he's 54 pounds.

Quoting prissypoptart:

My 5 yo is 75 lbs now. This time last year he was 50 and he is big. Just like u described. Hes built like a brick wall. I think as long as he is healthy, its none of their business momma!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)