Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**edit** Something I thought would never happen to me happened today

Posted by   + Show Post
Went to pick up my daughter from the after school program today at her school and my daughter wasn't there. My daughter is 7 years old and in the second grade. I started getting worried after about 5 minutes of the principal looking for her as well. When he asked to talked to me and another parent I knew it was trouble. Our kids are in the same class and apparently they took off walking after school. We didn't know they were missing for about 2 hours. It took us about 45 minutes to find them. They had the police on the way when another school called saying they were there. They had walked about 4 miles across 5 very busy intersections and multiple other smaller intersections. I never thought in a million years my daughter would take off like that. Her dad lives in texas and was freaking. Out and I couldn't stay on the phone with him because it was dying. I'm sooo thankful they are ok... And terrified of what could have happened.

**edit**
Many have asked about if she is being punished. I honestly have no idea how to punish her for this. Any suggestions.. Also is there any movies you can think of that would be good for her to watch about a kidnapping?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
As teachers, we trust that our students will go to the correct destination after school. I can't hold each child's hand to get them to their car, bus or the after school program. The afterschool
Program would likely just assume the child is absent if she doesn't show up, especially for a kid that doesn't go every day. No matter how many adults are stationed in the hallways, if a kid wants to sneak out it isn't hard to do. Unless a child has special needs, they should be expected to make a better choice than to leave without permission.
If it was my kid, she would be severely punished.
mmtosam06
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM

omg Shir glad your daughter is ok. That has to be terrifying

ShireeCS
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM
The after school teacher saw them and marked that they were there. Then when he noticed they were gone he assumed they were picked up and marked that they were picked up. I don't expect the teachers to hold their hands and make sure they are there but there should also be some type of count they have to match to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Quoting Anonymous:

As teachers, we trust that our students will go to the correct destination after school. I can't hold each child's hand to get them to their car, bus or the after school program. The afterschool

Program would likely just assume the child is absent if she doesn't show up, especially for a kid that doesn't go every day. No matter how many adults are stationed in the hallways, if a kid wants to sneak out it isn't hard to do. Unless a child has special needs, they should be expected to make a better choice than to leave without permission.

irocksocks
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM
She would definately be getting a serious talk after that! I'm glad she's ok!
ShireeCS
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM
I'm still freaking out and she is safe and sound in her bed

Quoting mmtosam06:

pauliewogmamma
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Wow that's crazy!! Te after school program my son went to would call home if a student was at school for the day but was not at the program as scheduled. There was a couple times I ended up picking him up so he didn't have to go and they were calling me within 10 minutes.

If they showed up and were checked in, the teacher should have checked with the front office is they had been signed out before assuming anything. They would have seen you did not check her out and could have called you way sooner. They dropped the ball. Big time.

Quoting ShireeCS:

The after school teacher saw them and marked that they were there. Then when he noticed they were gone he assumed they were picked up and marked that they were picked up. I don't expect the teachers to hold their hands and make sure they are there but there should also be some type of count they have to match to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM

This is the second time I've seen this post in the past two months... Why?

mmtosam06
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I imagine I would be freaking out as well

Quoting ShireeCS:

I'm still freaking out and she is safe and sound in her bed

Quoting mmtosam06:

Stephanie nice to meet you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. Im also a teacher and at my school, all the teachers have some kind of duty until dismissal is over.  For some its bus duty, walker duty, after school or hall duty.  We direct students to where they are supposed to be but we cant take all 600 something students to each destination.  Car riders go to a certain destination until their car is called.  After school go to the cafeteria until the after school teacher picks them up.  Bus riders all go with a certain teacher depending on their bus number until their bus is called. 

Im responsible for orange bus riders, which is second load.  When they come to my class in the afternoon, whoever shows up is who I have.  I do not get a roster saying who was here or who is not here.  I just know who comes to my room.  When their bus is called, I take them to their bus and put them on.  Any child who does not show up, I assume they are not there.

It is December and school has been in long enough.  For a 2nd grader, she knows better and she knows right from wrong.  She know where she is supposed to be.  As a mother, I would have been hysterical and in tears and glad she was found.  When we got home I would have torn another hole in her ass for doing something so dangerous and then saying I dont know.

Teach them better and let her know now that leaving with another child is not acceptable in no way, shape or form.  Hell you got kids killing other kids now days.  Totally unacceptable

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Quoting ShireeCS:

I see. I misunderstood. If they had been checked into afterschool, then they were the staff's responsibility. That's a completely difference scenario. Although, I'd still be pissed as hell at my kid if she tried that!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)