Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gift Giving at School *** EDIT**

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM
  • 169 Replies

My twin boys Primary School Is doing this Gift shop thing where they bring in money to buy for family or friends. they can bring in $.25-$10 for the budget for each people. I don't think they should do this , a lot of families cant afford a lot and having to give your child money for them to buy something is ridiculous...what happened to making gifts in class?

Also I received a letter from their class room they are doing stockings and they want each parent to buy stocking stuffers for each child in class ??!!!! We are having anxiety about making sure the kids have a good Christmas as it is for goodness sake now I have to buy for the whole class , and mind you that they are in different rooms so that's 40 kids I have to buy for !!! even if it is from the $1 store that $40 that wont go toward my kids :/... Cant they just make cards or ornaments out of paper like i used to in my school ?

and we have to provide a snack for their class party.

yes they said if it is a finacial burden to get ahold of the school , Does your school do this at all?

EDIT*** They posted NO FOOD .. Yes I know I can BUY pencils etc etc... BUT THAT ISNT THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS "TO BUY THINGS" !!!! THats my MAIN thing ..

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:28 AM

No, I teach in a public school in Massachusetts. We can't even teach about holidays or read holiday books to our classes. We cannot have a clas party, and we certainly cannot have gifts or exchange gifts with others in class. We are supposed to teach the curriculum just like at any other time of year. They say celebrating one particular holiday would leave others who do not celebrate out, and that taking time out for a party takes time away from time on learning. 

My kids attend public school in New Hampshire. They are having a holiday party with treats and are decorating Gingerbread houses with candy. I had to send in one bag of gum drops and a can of frosting for this project and sign a permission slip stating that they are allowed to participate and eat this special treat. 

Is this a public or private school? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:29 AM
6 moms liked this
Most schools have a winter store. It's a PTO fundraiser and not obligatory. I've volunteered the past few years and there are always kids who only have a couple of dollars and kids who don't participate at all for financial or religious reasons.

As for stocking stuffers, those don't need to be a dollar. You can get an ornament craft kid at michaels (I think they're on sale for $3 this week) that makes 24 ornaments and have your kids make them or separate them in to individual kits in sandwich bags. There's also lots of little things like seasonal pencils or erasers that you could get for $5 or less for the whole group.
tlcory
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I would go to party city and get packages of erasers or party favors that come in a pack for a few dollars each, than you only need to buy a few packs.  Good luck!

tears78
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:39 AM

this is a public school

I just dont know what to do

Quoting Anonymous:

No, I teach in a public school in Massachusetts. We can't even teach about holidays or read holiday books to our classes. We cannot have a clas party, and we certainly cannot have gifts or exchange gifts with others in class. We are supposed to teach the curriculum just like at any other time of year. They say celebrating one particular holiday would leave others who do not celebrate out, and that taking time out for a party takes time away from time on learning. 

My kids attend public school in New Hampshire. They are having a holiday party with treats and are decorating Gingerbread houses with candy. I had to send in one bag of gum drops and a can of frosting for this project and sign a permission slip stating that they are allowed to participate and eat this special treat. 

Is this a public or private school? 

andersongirl562
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:43 AM
Go to the store and buy a bag if party favors for the stocking stuffers the most you will spend is 10.00. As for the xmas shopping I knew it was coming so saved up :/ for treats bring in a couple of packs of oreos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:47 AM
I would hit up Walmart. back in the stocking suffers section of seasonal, they have packs of 20 Christmas pencils. you can do 40 kids for 2$. I do think it's rather crappy. what if there is a Jehovah's witness in those rooms?
TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you, that could really add up.  Do the teachers know this is an issue?

tears78
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Honestly I just think its ridiculous that we have to buy gifts for the whole class , they can learn about this in other ways , I think.

Quoting cueballsmom:

I would hit up Walmart. back in the stocking suffers section of seasonal, they have packs of 20 Christmas pencils. you can do 40 kids for 2$. I do think it's rather crappy. what if there is a Jehovah's witness in those rooms?

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

my DD school has not asked for anything. I would assume they will celebrate something. They did for halloween and each kid got a goody bag which I did not have to send anything in for. They also have a huge Christmas tree in the library all decorated. If they ask though I don't have a problem going to party city or something and grabbing some party bag stuffers. Usually you can get a pack of ten or so for a few bucks. I usually get a few extra since we can afford it and I know others can not. Call the school if you can not afford it. There may be parents who have donated extra for these types of situations.

tears78
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:58 AM

I just recieved the letter about it yesterday , so I havent talked to them as of yet.. trying to figure out what to do

Quoting TheMrs407:

I agree with you, that could really add up.  Do the teachers know this is an issue?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)