Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gift Giving at School *** EDIT**

Posted by   + Show Post

My twin boys Primary School Is doing this Gift shop thing where they bring in money to buy for family or friends. they can bring in $.25-$10 for the budget for each people. I don't think they should do this , a lot of families cant afford a lot and having to give your child money for them to buy something is ridiculous...what happened to making gifts in class?

Also I received a letter from their class room they are doing stockings and they want each parent to buy stocking stuffers for each child in class ??!!!! We are having anxiety about making sure the kids have a good Christmas as it is for goodness sake now I have to buy for the whole class , and mind you that they are in different rooms so that's 40 kids I have to buy for !!! even if it is from the $1 store that $40 that wont go toward my kids :/... Cant they just make cards or ornaments out of paper like i used to in my school ?

and we have to provide a snack for their class party.

yes they said if it is a finacial burden to get ahold of the school , Does your school do this at all?

EDIT*** They posted NO FOOD .. Yes I know I can BUY pencils etc etc... BUT THAT ISNT THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS "TO BUY THINGS" !!!! THats my MAIN thing ..

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
boldrumble
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM
You solved your own problem. Have your kids MAKE the stocking stuffers...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
boldrumble
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I have to say though...pople like you, who throw fits over the fun stuff....is why schools cant do anything anymore...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Santa shops aren't new. That is something a lot of schools did in the 70's and 80's. not as many schools do it now, though. When I was growing up, it was a good way for me to pick out something for my parents without them knowing what I got them. My parents usually sent me in with $2-5 to get per person. We always had a list from the parents of who we were allowed to buy for- if we had left over money, it was sent back home, not spent on ourselves or friends. 

Pit was also 100% optional- you don't have to send your kids through it. 

As for the party, I agree that's a lot to buy for, but you can likely do something small like fruit snacks or suckers for under $5 for every stocking. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:34 AM
One school of the many I attended had the Santa Shop. I loved it, and everything was cheap.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM
Yes I buy the cheapest stuff because I know someone else is going to.doth same thing, I am not going to blow my hard earned money on my kids class.
velvetkitty
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Wow.  That is insane.  I'm all for celebrating in the schools, but this is kind of over the top.  

tears78
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM
People like me? Um k ... I didnt say I was going to go to the school and protest. I just think its a lot for a parent if they dont have the extra cash. Im for fun believe me . But u shouldn't have to ask parents to buy gifts for the whole class .... U know what

WHATEVER....

Quoting boldrumble:

I have to say though...pople like you, who throw fits over the fun stuff....is why schools cant do anything anymore...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:03 AM
What about a couple boxes of candy canes for each class? That would be a cheap stocking stuffer.
I remember doing the Santa shops at school in the 90s:) although I was sent with maybe a dollar or two.

I feel ya though on the pressure to buy gifts. It's a bit much.
tears78
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM
There new for me. I dont see a point to them really . Make me a ornament out of construction paper id like that better

Quoting Anonymous:

Santa shops aren't new. That is something a lot of schools did in the 70's and 80's. not as many schools do it now, though. When I was growing up, it was a good way for me to pick out something for my parents without them knowing what I got them. My parents usually sent me in with $2-5 to get per person. We always had a list from the parents of who we were allowed to buy for- if we had left over money, it was sent back home, not spent on ourselves or friends. 

Pit was also 100% optional- you don't have to send your kids through it. 

As for the party, I agree that's a lot to buy for, but you can likely do something small like fruit snacks or suckers for under $5 for every stocking. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Sometimes you are excluded it is part of life. We have been asked to help pay for food for the party, and dd has to bring in a wrapped book for a book exchange. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)