Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gift Giving at School *** EDIT**

Posted by   + Show Post

My twin boys Primary School Is doing this Gift shop thing where they bring in money to buy for family or friends. they can bring in $.25-$10 for the budget for each people. I don't think they should do this , a lot of families cant afford a lot and having to give your child money for them to buy something is ridiculous...what happened to making gifts in class?

Also I received a letter from their class room they are doing stockings and they want each parent to buy stocking stuffers for each child in class ??!!!! We are having anxiety about making sure the kids have a good Christmas as it is for goodness sake now I have to buy for the whole class , and mind you that they are in different rooms so that's 40 kids I have to buy for !!! even if it is from the $1 store that $40 that wont go toward my kids :/... Cant they just make cards or ornaments out of paper like i used to in my school ?

and we have to provide a snack for their class party.

yes they said if it is a finacial burden to get ahold of the school , Does your school do this at all?

EDIT*** They posted NO FOOD .. Yes I know I can BUY pencils etc etc... BUT THAT ISNT THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS "TO BUY THINGS" !!!! THats my MAIN thing ..

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Replies (161-169):
BellaMama7
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I think thats a bit too much, seriously..When i was in school, you made your own "holiday" "ornament" and our class teacher would stick on a bulletin board.. Not exactly looking forward to this, if my kiddos are going to have to do this! We all used to make cards in class, I may sound cheap but my wallet only stretches so far..

WesternNYmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:16 AM

At my kids' schools they do Secret Santas. The kids each draw a name from a hat, and they purchase a gift for the person they pick.  To be fair to eveyone's budget, the schools have asked parents to spend no more that $2 on the gift.  I usually take the kid's to the Dollar store and have them pick out a puzzle or a  game for the gift swap.

JoaquinsMommie
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM
1 mom liked this

sick Oh Wow Thats Crazy,  Schools Be Wanting To Much I Dont Understand They Should Had A Written Letter Asking If You Going To Participate Or Not, I Guess They Dont Know A Mothers Struggle But I Do Wish You Well Take A Deep Breathe In & Out And Just Get It Over With

tears78
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:08 AM
Not an exaggeration at all one of my sons has a class of 20 and my other son has a class of 20 they are twins and in separate class rooms . So that equals to 40

Quoting Bonita131:

If you're so pissed off about it, make a copy of the post you made here and give it to the principal & teachers at your kids school. That should get your point across.

That aside. The gift shop has been around for some time, it's inexpensive and gives children a chance to select and buy an inexpensive gift for mom and dad or whomever they choose.  You also know or should know, as well as we all know, you can buy party pacs with multiple items at the dollar store so your 40 dollars for 40 kids is an complete over exaggeration.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:14 AM
That is ridiculous. If you can't afford it, talk to the teacher. A classroom activity shouldn't be stressing you out financially- that's crazy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

No, I teach in a public school in Massachusetts. We can't even teach about holidays or read holiday books to our classes. We cannot have a clas party, and we certainly cannot have gifts or exchange gifts with others in class. We are supposed to teach the curriculum just like at any other time of year. They say celebrating one particular holiday would leave others who do not celebrate out, and that taking time out for a party takes time away from time on learning. 

My kids attend public school in New Hampshire. They are having a holiday party with treats and are decorating Gingerbread houses with candy. I had to send in one bag of gum drops and a can of frosting for this project and sign a permission slip stating that they are allowed to participate and eat this special treat. 

Is this a public or private school? 

I also teach in a public school in MA.  We can have food that's on the Stalker list (I chose to skip the food because I think that list is a bunch of crap) and we can read holiday books.  For our class party, we're watching the Polar Express the day before school gets out and wearing our pj's.  Because cooking is in my students' IEPs, we cook each week (that food doesn't need to be on the Stalker list); we made applesauce in latkes and read about Hanukkah which starts tomorrow at sundown.

Maries_Mom23
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:41 AM

I remember having Santa's Workshop when I was in school (I'm 33).  I am volunteering at Santa's Workshop this week.  All of our items are $2.  And yes, some kids have not come in. Those that haven't will tomorrow.  Teachers have been keeping track of who hasn't shopped and have a pool of money to give these kids to buy 2 things each tomorrow.  I see nothing wrong with it.

Stocking stuffer issue....easy, go to a party supply store, they'll have Christmas stuff out and buy a bag or two of something.  Erasers, spinning top, they usually have pretty good deals on them. 

disneymom2two
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:43 AM

I think what she meant is that at the dollar store you can buy a multi pack of a trinkets (say  5 trinkits are in a bag for $1) which would bring your cost down because you'd have to buy 8 instead of 40.  Personally, I think its asinine having to buy for each child.  I'm a teacher and I have 2 kids in different grades; I've never heard of being asked to buy a present for each child in a classroom.  I have seen it done where kids brign in .50 or $1 to buy a present for mom or dad but that's a lot different than buying something for each kid in the class.  Glad my school doesn't do it because while I wouldn't mind my kid bringing home a trinket she picked out, I'd hate her to come home with 20 pieces of junk from the dollar store that I'll just throw away (my son's in high school so definitely wouldn't be involved in this).

Quoting tears78:

Not an exaggeration at all one of my sons has a class of 20 and my other son has a class of 20 they are twins and in separate class rooms . So that equals to 40

Quoting Bonita131:

If you're so pissed off about it, make a copy of the post you made here and give it to the principal & teachers at your kids school. That should get your point across.

That aside. The gift shop has been around for some time, it's inexpensive and gives children a chance to select and buy an inexpensive gift for mom and dad or whomever they choose.  You also know or should know, as well as we all know, you can buy party pacs with multiple items at the dollar store so your 40 dollars for 40 kids is an complete over exaggeration.

Bonita131
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Quoting tears78:

Quoting Bonita131:

Right. One son has a class of 20, the other son has a class of 20. A few bags of party pac treats from the dollar store will take care of those 40 kids for less that 10 bucks. The over exaggeration reference was in response to your claim you needed to spend 40 bucks for 40 kids. You do not.

And seriously, if this is pissing you off so much, contact the school and tell them you and your sons are not participating because you do not agree with it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured