Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gift Giving at School *** EDIT**

Posted by   + Show Post

My twin boys Primary School Is doing this Gift shop thing where they bring in money to buy for family or friends. they can bring in $.25-$10 for the budget for each people. I don't think they should do this , a lot of families cant afford a lot and having to give your child money for them to buy something is ridiculous...what happened to making gifts in class?

Also I received a letter from their class room they are doing stockings and they want each parent to buy stocking stuffers for each child in class ??!!!! We are having anxiety about making sure the kids have a good Christmas as it is for goodness sake now I have to buy for the whole class , and mind you that they are in different rooms so that's 40 kids I have to buy for !!! even if it is from the $1 store that $40 that wont go toward my kids :/... Cant they just make cards or ornaments out of paper like i used to in my school ?

and we have to provide a snack for their class party.

yes they said if it is a finacial burden to get ahold of the school , Does your school do this at all?

EDIT*** They posted NO FOOD .. Yes I know I can BUY pencils etc etc... BUT THAT ISNT THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS "TO BUY THINGS" !!!! THats my MAIN thing ..

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Then go buy a few packs of pencils or something that comes in a group of ten or so from the dollar store. Just b/c you can't afford it doesn't mean the gift shop should stop. I hate that mentality. If you're that hard up than don't buy anything but then your child should forego a stocking.
Older girls each need $5 for a pizza party and I'll send a class treat for each of the 3 classes.
bri2011
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Grab a value size bag of candy or get a few boxes of candy canes for the stockings....or talk w the teacher and tell them this is something your budget cant afford.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danglmommy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg girl im going through the same exact thing with my twin girls. It is driving me crazy. Everyday I do the math on their layaway and then I get letters from the school more...more...more...aaarrrrggghhhh. I may give each twin 5.00 but even that is a struggle for me. I feel your pain :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tears78
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Thank you ... For understanding.. I have four kids and 1 income so any money that we save is for our kids lol. We haven't bought ANY gifts for the two of us un 5 years. And im ok with that.
Its not that I cant think of other things to send in , cause I am crafty.. Just thinking of other families worse off than us thinking the same thing ... And trying to make sure their child isnt excluded.
ugh

Quoting Danglmommy:

Omg girl im going through the same exact thing with my twin girls. It is driving me crazy. Everyday I do the math on their layaway and then I get letters from the school more...more...more...aaarrrrggghhhh. I may give each twin 5.00 but even that is a struggle for me. I feel your pain :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Wow, I don't know what dollar store you go to, but I can get a set of things $1. Like, 12 crappy plastic santa dolls or something. I'd buy enough of those for the class (so 4 packs - $4 per kid). Stockings also from the dollar store. Then I'd go to Walmart (or Sam's Club) and either buy a bag or two of candy (which I do agree gets pricey), or if there are no kids in the class with allergies I'd buy a a couple boxes of cake mix and make a bunch of mini cupcakes. You're lucky your kids' school is still "allowed" to do these things. Someday schools won't be :(

That being said, I HATE the Gift Shop thing at school. Pisses me off because the kids want to buy stuff out of the kindness of their hearts, but I can't afford to give each of them that much money - and I feel like an @sshole for it. They understand for the most part, but it still sucks. (Plus the expensive crap is from the dollar store anyway lol).

Last year my son was the only one in school (4th grade) so I gave him $5. I told him to make it stretch (mainly because he's good at budgeting and I think that's a good lesson for him). Anyway, he spend the $5 on ME to buy me the most horrible looking heart necklace that said Mom in the middle. I love the hell out of that necklace!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM
My kids have had a Santa store almost every year. If I have the extea money the day they need it, I let them participate , if I don't then they just skip it. As far as stocking stuffers, I'm ok as long as they give me notice. Can get party favors pretty cheap.
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
You wouldn't believe the the damn fundraisers at my son's school. Seriously one or two a week. We live in a good profitable region too. Wtf??? I don't want o adopt a family for xmas. I don't expect anything for my kids why would others? And don't tell me they don't bc they do!!! If i choose to give it's bc i want to. Not bc i am being forced into it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
travelbunny
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:29 AM

What happened to Secret Santa?  Is this a Christan school because not everbody is Christian or celebrates Christms so you may be offending the kids who aren't Christians? *You beng general you.*  It's a nice idea but that wouldn't be allowed at the local school district here.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a problem with the store but I do with the gifts for everyone. They shouldn't be required to do something like that. It makes it all about gifts and not about the important things. 

alyssa1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM

my daughter is 7 and in second grade they have done exchange of gifts before but this year they are doing stockings.the teacher bought all of them a stocking and us parents have to get stuff to put in them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured