Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gift Giving at School *** EDIT**

Posted by   + Show Post

My twin boys Primary School Is doing this Gift shop thing where they bring in money to buy for family or friends. they can bring in $.25-$10 for the budget for each people. I don't think they should do this , a lot of families cant afford a lot and having to give your child money for them to buy something is ridiculous...what happened to making gifts in class?

Also I received a letter from their class room they are doing stockings and they want each parent to buy stocking stuffers for each child in class ??!!!! We are having anxiety about making sure the kids have a good Christmas as it is for goodness sake now I have to buy for the whole class , and mind you that they are in different rooms so that's 40 kids I have to buy for !!! even if it is from the $1 store that $40 that wont go toward my kids :/... Cant they just make cards or ornaments out of paper like i used to in my school ?

and we have to provide a snack for their class party.

yes they said if it is a finacial burden to get ahold of the school , Does your school do this at all?

EDIT*** They posted NO FOOD .. Yes I know I can BUY pencils etc etc... BUT THAT ISNT THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS "TO BUY THINGS" !!!! THats my MAIN thing ..

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Replies (31-40):
tears78
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Its a public school

Quoting travelbunny:

What happened to Secret Santa?  Is this a Christan school because not everbody is Christian or celebrates Christms so you may be offending the kids who aren't Christians? *You beng general you.*  It's a nice idea but that wouldn't be allowed at the local school district here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM

The point is that it gives the kids a chance to do their own shopping for the holidays. It isn't as much about the gift, as it is about giving the kids a little independence to be able to do their own Christmas shopping.

As another poster mentioned, it is also a fundraiser- the PTO earns a small amount from it.

Like I said, though- it isn't mandatory. It also isn't expensive. Sending the boys even $2 each to shop for each other, or for you, isn't expensive, and it gives them some control over their Christmas gift shopping. Parents tend to overlook that kids want to give gifts as well- and it teaches them that it can be fun to give a gift, not just receiving it. 

Whether you participate or not, it's not a bad program, and it's something that a lot of parents find useful. It's especially pretty popular with people who don't have much, because the kids can get gifts cheaply for family. 

Quoting tears78:

There new for me. I dont see a point to them really . Make me a ornament out of construction paper id like that better

Quoting Anonymous:

Santa shops aren't new. That is something a lot of schools did in the 70's and 80's. not as many schools do it now, though. When I was growing up, it was a good way for me to pick out something for my parents without them knowing what I got them. My parents usually sent me in with $2-5 to get per person. We always had a list from the parents of who we were allowed to buy for- if we had left over money, it was sent back home, not spent on ourselves or friends. 

Pit was also 100% optional- you don't have to send your kids through it. 

As for the party, I agree that's a lot to buy for, but you can likely do something small like fruit snacks or suckers for under $5 for every stocking. 

tears78
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Id rather them make an ornament from their own creation than a gift that cost money. That I pay for anyways.
I feel hand made is for that age

Quoting Anonymous:

The point is that it gives the kids a chance to do their own shopping for the holidays. It isn't as much about the gift, as it is about giving the kids a little independence to be able to do their own Christmas shopping.

As another poster mentioned, it is also a fundraiser- the PTO earns a small amount from it.

Like I said, though- it isn't mandatory. It also isn't expensive. Sending the boys even $2 each to shop for each other, or for you, isn't expensive, and it gives them some control over their Christmas gift shopping. Parents tend to overlook that kids want to give gifts as well- and it teaches them that it can be fun to give a gift, not just receiving it. 

Whether you participate or not, it's not a bad program, and it's something that a lot of parents find useful. It's especially pretty popular with people who don't have much, because the kids can get gifts cheaply for family. 

Quoting tears78:

There new for me. I dont see a point to them really . Make me a ornament out of construction paper id like that better

Quoting Anonymous:

Santa shops aren't new. That is something a lot of schools did in the 70's and 80's. not as many schools do it now, though. When I was growing up, it was a good way for me to pick out something for my parents without them knowing what I got them. My parents usually sent me in with $2-5 to get per person. We always had a list from the parents of who we were allowed to buy for- if we had left over money, it was sent back home, not spent on ourselves or friends. 

As for the party, I agree that's a lot to buy for, but you can likely do something small like fruit snacks or suckers for under $5 for every stocking. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM

You'll likely get something from art class- this is something different than that, though. You don't have to like it, or participate, but don't ruin it for everyone else in the school by complaining that it's not fair. It's optional, and it's extremely inexpensive. It's fun for the kids, and a good fundraiser for the school.

Quoting tears78:

Id rather them make an ornament from their own creation than a gift that cost money. That I pay for anyways.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tears78:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM
They do the Santa store and the kids love it. It's fun to shop for your family and I love seeing what my boys pick out. They didn't do stockings in preschool or ever that I recall. Some parents choose to do goodie bags for each child though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Yeah, we get to do both. I had to send in money today for my children to make ornaments and eat Christmas cookies with the PTO. I'm sure we'll have Santa store info by the end of the week.

Quoting Anonymous:

You'll likely get something from art class- this is something different than that, though. You don't have to like it, or participate, but don't ruin it for everyone else in the school by complaining that it's not fair. It's optional, and it's extremely inexpensive. It's fun for the kids, and a good fundraiser for the school.

Quoting tears78:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tears78:

Quoting Anonymous:

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM

when i was growing up, our classes would do a $5 secret santa.  girls would get something for girls, boys would bring something for a boy.  it wasn't mandatory.  if you didn't bring anything, you didn't put your name in. it was that simple. my son's school doesn't do this at all.  no parties,  no nothing, though the teachers will usually give out little goodies bags to their class. 

just talk to the teachers.  maybe they can alter the plans a little.

stykir
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM

for the stocking stuffers you can buy packs of little trinkets...i was in walmart the other day and they had 12 packs of pencils for under a dollar....2 of those per kid would work out great. in the same area they had other fun things like rings, tops, erasers, mini notebooks, kids would even be thrilled with a few stickers....all kinds of things for under a dollar a pack. and you can do a cheap snack...a box of graham crackers or something homemade. it doesn't have to be expensive.

the gift shop is completely optional though. i sent my son with a little money for theirs. it's their opportunity to shop for mom and dad all by themselves, without you guys around. last year my son bought a bookmark for his dad (who doesn't read) a notepad for me, and some crayons for his sister and i think he spent under $5. But he was absolutely thrilled that he had picked everything all by himself. if you don't want them to participate though, it's up to you. you can just tell them that you'll help them make presents at home this year.

SB2217
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM
My dds preschool asked for a toy no more than $7 so they can do a gift exchange. Honestly, with the amount of money we spend on Christmas and donations to charities, $7 isn't bad at all so it doesn't bother me. I'd get something small if I were to give something to the whole class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Holiday stores are quite common. They are huge fundraisers and participation is OPTIONAL. Our city has so many holiday shops for children to shop at to support this charity and that charity. It is annoying.

Just send a letter with both children saying "My children will not be contributing to the stocking stuffers this year, sorry" and move on.

If you did participate you don't have to spend a dollar per child. Think birthday party goody bag fillers. A 6 pack of Disney Princess/Cars pens are $1 at Target. Tiny off-brand playdoh containers are 4 for $1 at Target. Look at the dollar spot for the multi-packs. I could pull off stocking stuffers for 40 kids at Target for $6 total. There are so many 4-8 packs of little kid crap in the dollar spot. The "snack" can be a package of cookies or crackers. You could provide for both holiday parties for $10 total.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)