Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gift Giving at School *** EDIT**

Posted by   + Show Post

My twin boys Primary School Is doing this Gift shop thing where they bring in money to buy for family or friends. they can bring in $.25-$10 for the budget for each people. I don't think they should do this , a lot of families cant afford a lot and having to give your child money for them to buy something is ridiculous...what happened to making gifts in class?

Also I received a letter from their class room they are doing stockings and they want each parent to buy stocking stuffers for each child in class ??!!!! We are having anxiety about making sure the kids have a good Christmas as it is for goodness sake now I have to buy for the whole class , and mind you that they are in different rooms so that's 40 kids I have to buy for !!! even if it is from the $1 store that $40 that wont go toward my kids :/... Cant they just make cards or ornaments out of paper like i used to in my school ?

and we have to provide a snack for their class party.

yes they said if it is a finacial burden to get ahold of the school , Does your school do this at all?

EDIT*** They posted NO FOOD .. Yes I know I can BUY pencils etc etc... BUT THAT ISNT THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS "TO BUY THINGS" !!!! THats my MAIN thing ..

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Replies (41-50):
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM

That's ridiculous especially in today's economy. 

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM

That seems somewhat extreme to me.

At the school here, they do a book exchange.  The girls bring a book another girl might like..and the boys do the same. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM

You don't have to do it. Quit crying.

goddess99
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM

If you can't afford it then just don't do it. You won't be the only parent.

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM

when did gift exchange stop being an option?

I like the way we did it in school... bring in a gift for the same gender and we will exhange there.....

othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Here they do stocking for thee kids. Hbut they ask for single wrapped candies, so if you buy a bag of hard candies for a dolar and there are  20 candies in the bag you have to buy 2 bags.   My kids school doesn't do a gift shop, but they used to when I was a kid and I loved it.

Christie825
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

No my DD's school doesn't but a good idea would be to buy one of those craft sets for about $10 and have your little ones make gifts for their class. DD is making bracelets for the girls in her class and little keychains for the boys with a kit she got on her Bday just because she want's to

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM
A box of small 60 count candy canes costs a few dollars. That would save you a lot of money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

No, and if the school here did do that, I'd be contacting them.  That is ridiculous.  If the parents decided the teachers needed to buy stocking stuffers for all their students the end of it would not be heard.  I love how the school just decides this kind of thing without asking for input from the people who would be spending the money.

LucyHarper
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

They do a school sale thing, you don't have to send in money, we don't, it's just an optional thing and no one cares if you don't. They also make gifts in class. As for the stocking, they don't do that, but you could do home made things, like something edible or a craft, so it won't cost much. If you really want something store bought, go to the dollar store and they have those packs for goodie bags, so you can get like 5-6 gifts for a dollar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)