Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

One new(ish) vehicle vs two older ones? What would you get with $20k?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 172 Replies

Poll

Question: What should we get with $20k?

Options:

One newer vehicle

Two older vehicles

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 272

View Results

Dh and I are in the market for a new vehicle. We can only spend $20k. He wants to get a late model vehicle, preferably a loaded mini-van. I think we could make do with two older vehicles with more miles for that amount of money...he could have his own vehicle to drive to work (we're moving to an area 5 miles from his job), and I'll have one to drive the kids to activities and such. He's not comfortable with getting a car with over 40k miles, but I've found plenty of vehicles online that are certified and/or have warranties. Oh, and he only wants to get a mini-van because his sister is going to be staying with us temporarily. I say she can get a job and get her own car! u?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Blah, sorry for that typo at the end, lately posting on an ipad has been a pain! Anyone else having that issue? Anyway, bump!

alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM
5 moms liked this
LOL at 40k miles. We own 6 vehicles and not one of them is under 100k miles and they all run great!

I would get 2 vehicles. I love that i have my own car and the fact that if something happened to SOs Jeep, we have a backup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy31308
by Ashlee on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM
I would get 2. We couldn't live without our own vehicle.

If I were you I'd probably put 10k down on each and get what you both want. (if you could afford that of course)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Oh, and yes let his sister get her own vehicle!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I say if you need two vehicles get two. You can get a nice vehicle for 10,000. My 2004 dodge caravan cost me 8,000. It had 70,000 miles on it. It's in great condition, looks nice and hasn't given me a single problem except for having to replace the water pump and I've been driving it for a year. I love it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol I told him what you ladies have said so far and he said "what do women know about cars anyway?" hahahaha!
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM
His reasons for buying a mini van are ridiculous. His sister needs to buy her own car. I wouldn't waste money on an older car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM
4 moms liked this

I told dh I got 100% of the votes so far and he said "this is 100% for you" and farted on me! :(

mstricey
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Lol!! I would go for 2 cars also. It would drive me crazy being in the house without a car to go where I want. I bought a 2000 explorer for 2000.00 3 years ago. It had 100,000 miles on it and the only thing I've had to replace is the coil pack, plugs, and plug wires which was very minor. It runs great.

Quoting Anonymous:

I told dh I got 100% of the votes so far and he said "this is 100% for you" and farted on me! :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dirby1988
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Id get 2 cars. That way u both have a way around and older cars run good too. We had a 93 caravan, a 91 toyota camry, a 91 honda civic , a 90 ford festiva and a 91 honda accord. The caravan was crap from the start lol, the camry my mom ran the oil out and the engine blew up, the civic we still have and needs a starter but weve had it since i was 17 and im 24 now and no big problems,the festiva got sold to buy an 88 bonneville, the accord my brother sold it cuz he got a 2008 mazda 6. They all were good cars while we had them except the van. Nuthin but problems.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)