Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is why walmart employees SUCK

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
Because we get in trouble for "spending too much time" with the customers.
I work at walmart. In the electronics and connection center. My customers have questions. Sometimes they have lots of questions. Well. With me being the associate in the connection center I have a lot of paperwork to get through in the mornings. The electronics associate has freight to work. She decided she was going to give me a list of tasks (mind you, she is not management or anything) I told her "If I can get to it" Also, I am always the one that customers seek out plus walmart policy is to speak with any customer within ten feet. So I always great and then take the time to answer all of the customers questions. I do not care if the customer is buying the $15 prepaid phone or getting the galaxy s3 on ATT contract. I treat them all the same. The electronics girl will keep her head down and not speak to the customers unless they ask her a direct question. And then she will mainly point and say "over there" or be very abrupt wih customers. I am fabulous with customer service. On monday she got mad and told managment the I told her that I wasnt going to help her. Which was not true. So they had a "sit down" with me and told me that I need to "get rid" of the customers faster so that I could be of more assistance on the freight. If im the only associate helping customers then my other tasks will fall behind. Its that simple. Also, I will be surronded by customers waiting for my help...and she will not ask a single one of them if they need anything.
And then on tuesday I was helping this little old couple. They had never had a prepaid phone but couldnt afford their monthly contract bill. So I was giving them options on prepaid. There is a lot of info to cover wih the different plans. They made a joke about there dog not needing a phone so I said "oh but couldnt you imagine the puppy running around with a bluetooth? so much easier to call him inside!" They laughed and asked more questions. They then had questions about laptops and tablets...the differences and which is better for whatevers. My manager overheard this and told me I need to stop being so personal wih customers. That it is not necassaru to send time wih them and I need to start wrapping it up.
I know I could have cut 30 seconds out of the conversation by not making the dog joke. But they had legitimate questions. I am not going to be rude to them. They needed my help.
So. Nezt time a walmart employee is rude to you...just keep in mind that they just might be protecting their job!
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ashlynnsmommy07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Walmart is awful. I worked there as a teenager (back when there were "Made in the USA!" Posters everywhere) and it was awful. I can't even imagine how workers are treated now. That's why I refuse to shop there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twicethemomjess
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM
i worked there. got in trouble for the same type of thing. sucs because i was treating customers how i wanted to be treated. one time my mom came in to shop, stopped by where i was working and said hi...i got in big trouble
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM
bump
MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Walmart is evil

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM

This isn't a problem at my husband's store. The management there realizes that (especially in electronics) when you treat a customer well and answer all their questions they will spend more money.

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM

That really sucks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM

There are absolutely ways to still address people but keep your time with them at a minimum so you can still get other tasks done.  Simply answer the direct question and say you'll be right here when they are ready to make a decision and move on.  The problem with these corporations is absolutely the upper management and the way these companies are run (which is not favorable to the employees).  However, I have worked in retail and had employees who absolutely took too much time chatting to customer's and not working so I think their are two sides to every story and I am not going to 100% agree with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Quoting twicethemomjess:

i worked there. got in trouble for the same type of thing. sucs because i was treating customers how i wanted to be treated. one time my mom came in to shop, stopped by where i was working and said hi...i got in big trouble

Right! I would be so pissed if I went into a store and the associate helping me kept looking at their watch or told me to "wrap it up"
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM
I don't ask for any help in stores. Usually I look for my answers online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Grumpylilpixy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I worked there when I was 19. I spent 2 months and that was the end of that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured