Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What does CPS look for?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
I have never had CPS at my house. What do they look for? I don't think they will ever cone to my house. But I see it enough on here, but what do they look for? Anyone know?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Depends why they're called.

jj4ij
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Do you have food in the house, is there grime an rot, pet fecies etc.
Is there junk piled up blocking walkways? That's a fire hazard.
Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Abuse, neglect, filth, excessive mess, enough food, proper clothing and bedding, drugs, alcohol abuse that leads to neglect or abuse, medical neglect, dental neglect and a lot more, but that is the gist of it

bebcarroll
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

You would be surprised when CPS gets called.  I have had friends have CPS called for all kinds of things.  But, even if they get called they may not even show up.  If they do,  they are looking for a clean house, that is safe, that has working electric and water and heat.  They want to see that there is food enough in the refrigerator and pantry,  that the children are clean and well cared for. They also want to know that you are seeking appropriate medical care for them.  That they are appropriately dressed for the current conditions and that they are not being left alone or locked in.  But, you should also know that if CPS should show up at your house, you are under no obligation to let them in, they cannot come in with out your permission unless they have a warrant and to get a warrant the child must be in immediate danger.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Not what does it stand for. LOL.

What things do they look for once they show up.

Quoting jj4ij:

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Food in the house, make sure you have heat, hot water and electricity, children have some where to sleep. Clean.. Etc
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Well that's interesting. I have chronic fatigue. And it takes all of my energy to be up with my kids. So I do things like wash all laundry one Dayton, fold it the next, and put it away the third day. LOL
I still have breakfast dishes in the sink, but I have plenty of groceries.
It just always worries me. LOL. What if I piss someone e off and they call for no reason, I read it happens a lot.

Quoting bebcarroll:

You would be surprised when CPS gets called.  I have had friends have CPS called for all kinds of things.  But, even if they get called they may not even show up.  If they do,  they are looking for a clean house, that is safe, that has working electric and water and heat.  They want to see that there is food enough in the refrigerator and pantry,  that the children are clean and well cared for. They also want to know that you are seeking appropriate medical care for them.  That they are appropriately dressed for the current conditions and that they are not being left alone or locked in.  But, you should also know that if CPS should show up at your house, you are under no obligation to let them in, they cannot come in with out your permission unless they have a warrant and to get a warrant the child must be in immediate danger.

bebcarroll
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I worry about the same thing.  Especially since my neighbor is a whack a loon.  (nicest name I can up with for her :) ) We have actually had the police called on us.  They showed up at the door and I did not let them in, I met with them on the porch.  The officer said  that someone had taken down my license plate at  a store and though "something" might be going on because I did not accept her offer to buy my child a coat??? The officer said they have to investigate every call they get.  But, since no one asked to buy any of my kids a coat that day, she had the wrong car. So, the key to remember you don't have to let them in if they arrive without notice and then if  they call to come out, you are "too busy today, but they can come tomorrow or Friday" to give your self a chance to put the laundry away and load the dishwasher.  I know a couple of my friends have both called and been called on about/ by ex spouses and their girlfriends.  It is silly to put someone thorough that kind of stress for revenge.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well that's interesting. I have chronic fatigue. And it takes all of my energy to be up with my kids. So I do things like wash all laundry one Dayton, fold it the next, and put it away the third day. LOL
I still have breakfast dishes in the sink, but I have plenty of groceries.
It just always worries me. LOL. What if I piss someone e off and they call for no reason, I read it happens a lot.

Quoting bebcarroll:

sydjademom24
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM
I would think first and foremost the necessesities. Food, running water, electricity, livable shelter, clothing. Then id imagine it would go onto why they were called. Abuse/drug use/neglect/filthy house. They will try just about everything to keep families together. Give you chances to fix whats wrong. In my moms case, lots of chances. All they want is a safe, clean home, food, clothing, basic necessities.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)