Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i'm worried dd is not ready for school..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
School starts in September. DD will be turning 4 2 months after September. I don't think she is ready...

No one can understand what she says. I do, because I know what she means because I'm around her 24/7... but some person off the street has no clue what she's saying 90% of the time.

She has a lisp to.. so it doesn't help.

Aside from that, she is very bright and catches on quickly. She's smart and very polite to everyone. She understands right from wrong. She very much enjoys learning, sharing and helping.

Just her speech... she's been like this since 18 months.. I work with her everyday on words and how to say them. She tries so hard. Would a school still accept her with a speech delay?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
HipLikeJunk
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Preschool could be really beneficial for her. A classroom setting with expectations and peers to keep up with and a set routine is all some kids need to flourish. 

As for speech, my two year old wasn't talking much but putting him in daycare forced him to try to communicate better and his speech has improved so much.

kgsharber
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM
You need to look into early intervention for her. Call your local school and see what's available.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Here its j/k s/k.

Junior kindergarden.. and senior kindergarden.

Age is suppose to be 3 and up to start in j/k.

Everyone is telling me I have to put her in school next year... but I don't think she's ready.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You don't think she is ready for preschool? It's not like a pass or fail type of thing, that is what will prepare her for Kindergarten if you cannot do so yourself. If you can and don't want to send her then don't. My kids never went to preschool.

mom2mygirls0208
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

talk to someone at your school district they might have a program that will work for her and good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM
I definitely agree with this, I don't know how many parents have a wait and see attitude with speech and its much harder for speech therapy to work once they are older.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

have you sought help for her speech? if not do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM
My dd is 4. She has a lisp as well. While i dont think she will be ready for school when she turns 5 she will go. Not for the same reason as yours though. My dd has never been away from me. She wont even stay in her own class at church. She will scream until they take her to her big sisters class.

But school might be able to help with the lisp. When i was a kid i had speech problems. There was a speech class i would go to during school.
GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Yes they will. Some schools will even give her speech therapy as part of the her day. My son goes to group speech one or two times a week while in school.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

The school can offer her speech therapy.

I was concerned about my son's speech too, because it seems like every time we go home my family (or SO's family) is like "What is he saying?" His behavioral therapist said that she'd have the speech therapist go talk to him & see if she think she needs it..I guess not considering its December. lol But yes, the school cannot deny her because of a speech delay. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Here its j/k and s/k.

Juinior kindergarden and senior kindergarden.

J/k starts at age 3 and up.

I'm hoping that she improves but everyone is telling me she has to start next year..

Quoting Christie825:

She'll be fine and most likely your school will have a speach therapist on staff that can get an early start helping her.

Are you sure your school will take her? DD's bday is the end of Sept and I thought for sure she'd be able to attend the year she turned 4 but the rule here is they are 4 before the first day of school or they wait till next year

HLmom89
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM
If it was not for my son going to 3k last year he would of gotten speech and ot in kinsergarten or even late this year.
My oldest son has a few problems with speech and using me for everything instead of I. His teacher last year told me this and i agreed. So we did a child development thing at the school and the speech and ot teacher were there. They noticed and said we could put him in.
So as of last year my son has been going to speech and ot 2 days a week and preschool 2 days a week.
He is now in 4k and his speech has gotten better. His fine motor skills are a lot better ( he couldnt button his jeans and now most days he can. He also just started zipping his jacket on his own).
So if i were you go see a speech therapist it will help. They said if he keeps going at the speed he probaby wont need speech or ot when he is
In second or 3rd grade
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)