Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i'm worried dd is not ready for school..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
School starts in September. DD will be turning 4 2 months after September. I don't think she is ready...

No one can understand what she says. I do, because I know what she means because I'm around her 24/7... but some person off the street has no clue what she's saying 90% of the time.

She has a lisp to.. so it doesn't help.

Aside from that, she is very bright and catches on quickly. She's smart and very polite to everyone. She understands right from wrong. She very much enjoys learning, sharing and helping.

Just her speech... she's been like this since 18 months.. I work with her everyday on words and how to say them. She tries so hard. Would a school still accept her with a speech delay?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Replies (31-37):
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Then don't send her if you don't want to. Are you a SAHM? Can you dedicate the time to teach her what she needs to know? If she is having speech problems they can access that and help her with it.

I didn't send my kids because I am a SAHM and I can teach them what they need to know for Kindergarten without spending $300+ a month.

Quoting Anonymous:

Here its j/k s/k.

Junior kindergarden.. and senior kindergarden.

Age is suppose to be 3 and up to start in j/k.

Everyone is telling me I have to put her in school next year... but I don't think she's ready.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You don't think she is ready for preschool? It's not like a pass or fail type of thing, that is what will prepare her for Kindergarten if you cannot do so yourself. If you can and don't want to send her then don't. My kids never went to preschool.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Sorry I ment 18 months not 28.

Quoting two4one:

Go to the school district and have her evaluated. You need to contact  CPSE.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry I just answered someone about that.

At 28 months the doctor got me an appointment with one. We went. He said she was too young. At 2 I went back to the doctor. She said DD was fine. At 2.5 I went back again and she said DD just had a lisp and she would grow out of it. She refuses to do anything to help because DD only has a lisp.

Quoting carterscutie85:

Um, why did you not sign her up for speech?

When my DS regressed at 15 months, I got him into speech ASAP. They wouldn't take him till he was 2, but he has come so far. Early intervention makes a huge difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Yes I've been working with her since 18 months. She has gotten a lot better since. She knows all her colors but she can't count. She goes '2 1 3' instead of 1 2 3.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Then don't send her if you don't want to. Are you a SAHM? Can you dedicate the time to teach her what she needs to know? If she is having speech problems they can access that and help her with it.

I didn't send my kids because I am a SAHM and I can teach them what they need to know for Kindergarten without spending $300+ a month.

Quoting Anonymous:

Here its j/k s/k.

Junior kindergarden.. and senior kindergarden.

Age is suppose to be 3 and up to start in j/k.

Everyone is telling me I have to put her in school next year... but I don't think she's ready.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You don't think she is ready for preschool? It's not like a pass or fail type of thing, that is what will prepare her for Kindergarten if you cannot do so yourself. If you can and don't want to send her then don't. My kids never went to preschool.

cLanief
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM
School in close to a year ... shell get what she needs there. My son has speech issues and had speech therapy and everything before he started school but school is what really helped. Plus your kid has almost a year before she even starts so why are you worrying about it now?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gammie
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

She may need a speech therapist. You can teach her pre-k at home get her ready for 1 grade.

She will get bullied i'm sure so don't put her in school yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Work with her at home now.  September is a long way away.  She may be ready by then.  I wouldn't worry too much until it's closer to Sept.

travelbunny
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Get her an IEP and into speech therapy. They can better help her.  Both my brother and I were/are in speech therapy and have IEPS.  I don't see how a school could deny her admission to school because of a speech impairment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN