Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cutting out extras to pay off debt

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My dh and I recently noticed that our spending has gotten out of control. We have accumulated a hefty credit card debt. In order to pay it off, we are cutting some of the fat out of our budget. Tell me if this sounds crazy to you.

1-no going out to eat

2-only have on $30 cell phone

3-pack all lunches

4-no cable or netflix

5- my dh demanded his work pay half of our internet bill since they insist he have it for work.

I think this is a good plan and we only need to be this tight for 6 months to completely pay off our debt

my dh is also starting a 401k at work to make sure we save every month

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I think you are rockin' it!! Go for it! I've never heard of anyone complaining about being debt-free!  GL

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Quoting Des10ed2b:

i think it is a very good idea. we were in a similar situation recently. We dropped our cable package to a lower one, switched our home phone to magic jack, switched our cell phones to cricket, really started watching our sale items for groceries and doing lots of coupons, and selling off anything that is cluttering up the house. it is making a BIG difference!

please tell me how magic jack works

ambermario4ever
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me. My hubby work pays us an extra $50 a month for his cellphone because he uses his personal one for work as well and they did not have to provide him with one. We just summit the bill to them every month and they send us a $50 check.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Great ideas. Also try couponing if you don't it helps saves money

Eliots_momma
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM
I don't know if you own your car but recently we were able to get a reduction in our interest rate. We went from 8% to 2%. It helped a lot in the long run. We also have a garden and can a lot of foods so our grocery bill is very little and our food is yummy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellymarie323
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM
For sure. We live in the town SO works in so he's lucky to be able to come home for 30 min for lunch, he actually just left. Before that he bought lunch cuz we lived 20 miles south. I was amazed how much we save.

Quoting Fields456:

Us too and dh takes his lunch everyday. He was spending crazy amounts of money on food while at work

Quoting kellymarie323:

Good plan and good luck! It worked for us. Eating out was our worst enemy. We do it now but spend less, use coupons, etc. And it's allowed no more than once a week :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM
We don't have any debt but one thing we did to save more money was to set a limit on how much we each would spend a week-we decided on $20. We could use that money for whatever we wanted- clothes, grabbing lunch, things for the house, extras that weren't necessary, etc. Once that money was gone we didn't buy anything else, period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Des10ed2b
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Des10ed2b:

i think it is a very good idea. we were in a similar situation recently. We dropped our cable package to a lower one, switched our home phone to magic jack, switched our cell phones to cricket, really started watching our sale items for groceries and doing lots of coupons, and selling off anything that is cluttering up the house. it is making a BIG difference!

please tell me how magic jack works

you buy the electronic device first. We got ours at best buy. It is about 80 dollars. You hook it up to either your current phone jack, or your modem and all your calls start going through that. I dont know the details of exactly how it works, but it does. After the first year it basically averages out to about 20 bucks a year for phone service. you still have voicemail and call waiting, but the beeps sound different. totally worth it for us. Saved us a good $40 a month. Same with switching our cells to cricket. 

Proud mom of an ornery 3 year old boy, a very smart 6 year old girl! Married for 4.5 years, together for 7! Fun loving, open-minded, eco-friendly, creative,friendly, different strokes work for different folks, lady! I stay at home, work at home, love it all!

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM
I estimate we will save atleast $400. A month

Quoting kellymarie323:

For sure. We live in the town SO works in so he's lucky to be able to come home for 30 min for lunch, he actually just left. Before that he bought lunch cuz we lived 20 miles south. I was amazed how much we save.

Quoting Fields456:

Us too and dh takes his lunch everyday. He was spending crazy amounts of money on food while at work

Quoting kellymarie323:

Good plan and good luck! It worked for us. Eating out was our worst enemy. We do it now but spend less, use coupons, etc. And it's allowed no more than once a week :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I use his baby step plan. best thing ever.

Quoting emandab:

Dave Ramsey is a great getting out of debt financial guy.  I listen to him all the time on the radio. You should look him up, he has tons of worksheets and goal lists and helps you figure out which debt to concentrate on first and so forth.  He's great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)