Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I dropped off applications to a beggar today!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Oh yes I did! Please tell me I am not the first smart pants to figure this out!

This man stands on a busy intersection near where I live. I see him there pretty much DAILY. His sign never changes. "Out of work, will accept anything".

So today I drove to the nearby stores: McDonalds, Friendly's, Five Guys, Cumberland Farms, Subway, Dunkin Donuts and a few other places and picked up applications. When I drove by, I pulled up, handed them to him and told him I would be back tomorrow to pick up the COMPLETED applications and drop them off for him if he needed. Then I drove off.

I hope he actually fills them out, God knows all the time he stands there begging he could be actually getting a job, since most these places are hiring and have been.

What have YOU given a beggar?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
heresjohnny
by Emerald Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM
6 moms liked this

How did he look? How did he smell? You DO realize that while jobs are available, few places of business will actually hire homeless people, right? These guys need more than just job applications, they need stable housing to rest, shower, shave, and look presentable for work. Unfortunately it's a catch-22. Without work they have no place to live, and without a place to live they won't have work. Now, if you offered to let him mow your lawn or something and he refused, THEN you would probably have something to be snide about.

sexychica25
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I wonder if Op will take him back and for to this job that she "helped" him get?

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Did you give him a pen? Or a good work history?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessica_Esqueda
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Quoting amyleigh80:

Too weird.  I saw a guy today and I thought the EXACT SAME THING! I thought, "why can't you be filling out apps instead of begging.  A lot of them are NOT homeless.  This guy was clean cut and not dirty looking at all.  It pisses me off.  I have enough trouble saving money of my own.

Maybe they can't work due to a disability or bad history. Not all bums need the help. But a lot of them really do.

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

1stpreggers
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM
This

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Are you also going to give him interview clothes, a phone number and a permanent address? If not, you're just an asshole.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandie1470
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM

A cheeseburger

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish it was as simple as giving applications. Open your mind to other possibilities as to why he's homeless, like mental illness for one.

smenjivar
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I usually gove them money. What they do with it is their choice. They are the ones that have to answer to God for lying or desecrating their bodies. at least God will know that I helped my brother. 

TwinmomAlicia
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM
If he has a felony he won't get hired by any of those places.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM

How do you know that guy is homeless?  Maybe he has a home and is desperately looking for a job, but in the meanwhile doesn't have money for food and is starving?

Quoting amyleigh80:

Too weird.  I saw a guy today and I thought the EXACT SAME THING! I thought, "why can't you be filling out apps instead of begging.  A lot of them are NOT homeless.  This guy was clean cut and not dirty looking at all.  It pisses me off.  I have enough trouble saving money of my own.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

That sounds good in theory, but unless you also gave him a phone, a home address and decent clothes to wear to an interview, it's not going to change anything.

My husband and kids ( I used to go but haven't in a long time) go to the homeless shelter twice a month to do a chapel service. This shelter has programs to help people find a job. There was a really big tall man there a few years ago, who was trying to find a job, but didn't have decent clothes. My husband, who is also big and tall, looked through his closet for stuff but it was too small so he went to the thrift store and bought a couple of sweaters and things for him. We never saw him after that so hopefully that meant he got a job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)