Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I dropped off applications to a beggar today!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Oh yes I did! Please tell me I am not the first smart pants to figure this out!

This man stands on a busy intersection near where I live. I see him there pretty much DAILY. His sign never changes. "Out of work, will accept anything".

So today I drove to the nearby stores: McDonalds, Friendly's, Five Guys, Cumberland Farms, Subway, Dunkin Donuts and a few other places and picked up applications. When I drove by, I pulled up, handed them to him and told him I would be back tomorrow to pick up the COMPLETED applications and drop them off for him if he needed. Then I drove off.

I hope he actually fills them out, God knows all the time he stands there begging he could be actually getting a job, since most these places are hiring and have been.

What have YOU given a beggar?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
kattu
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Did you put your address and phone number down for him to use? Are you going to let him shower and use your SO's clothes for the interview?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM
We have one too. We were coming from church and he was riding a bike. He stepped out of a typical middle class home. After we stopped by BK we saw him with a sign. No bike in sight.

We just kept driving and giggle when ever we see him...
amyleigh80
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM

This guy that I saw had a sign that said "Just lost my job, will take anything".  He truly did look clean.  I do feel for these people, but I am not going to feel guilty if I drive by.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Quoting amyleigh80:

Too weird.  I saw a guy today and I thought the EXACT SAME THING! I thought, "why can't you be filling out apps instead of begging.  A lot of them are NOT homeless.  This guy was clean cut and not dirty looking at all.  It pisses me off.  I have enough trouble saving money of my own.

Maybe they can't work due to a disability or bad history. Not all bums need the help. But a lot of them really do.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM
5 moms liked this

Right.  Why feel bad for someone desperate enough to stand on a corner and beg for a job?

Quoting amyleigh80:

This guy that I saw had a sign that said "Just lost my job, will take anything".  He truly did look clean.  I do feel for these people, but I am not going to feel guilty if I drive by.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Quoting amyleigh80:

Too weird.  I saw a guy today and I thought the EXACT SAME THING! I thought, "why can't you be filling out apps instead of begging.  A lot of them are NOT homeless.  This guy was clean cut and not dirty looking at all.  It pisses me off.  I have enough trouble saving money of my own.

Maybe they can't work due to a disability or bad history. Not all bums need the help. But a lot of them really do.

NBean311
by Chivette on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

This is what I do also, if they appear to be genuinely in need. There is one by my house that is usually fall down drunk... I have trouble justifying giving him anything, after watching him throw away food that someone gave him one day. 

I have given food, gloves, blankets, socks... Anything to help keep them warm and fed. 

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

I've given a beggar meals from McDonalds, bread, peanut butter, and jelly, water, hand warmers, dog food (he had a dog lol). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM
May want to get him Internet access, an actual address, and a phone number because around here you need all those for a job ( paper applications are accepted but they want you to fill an online one too) oh and proper clothes to wear and a place to shower if he is homeless. So, you see many beggars are not simply lazy they are up against many Obstacles when searching for employment. You are simplifying the problem if you think his issue is simply that he doesn't have a job
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kattu
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Key words: COULD BE true, yet you still make assumptions.

Quoting Krystle1216:

I think thats pretty awesome!! Although I doubt he will be there tomorrow or even have completed the applications! Hes prob just looking for a handout not willing to work! Sad but could be true
xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Quoting LucyHarper:

Ever think that maybe he already tried those places or can't work? He's not an idiot, he knows how to get an application, no need to kick someone when they are down and act like a smart alack.

I have no idea about the other places, but when I started at McDonald's I had to go buy pants and shoes specifically for the job. I doubt he could afford that. Even getting a job often costs money, and if he doesn't have it he could very well be screwed.

OceanGoddess
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM
I second this!!!

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Are you also going to give him interview clothes, a phone number and a permanent address? If not, you're just an asshole.
lilygracesmoma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM
I give food when I can
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)