Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I dropped off applications to a beggar today!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Oh yes I did! Please tell me I am not the first smart pants to figure this out!

This man stands on a busy intersection near where I live. I see him there pretty much DAILY. His sign never changes. "Out of work, will accept anything".

So today I drove to the nearby stores: McDonalds, Friendly's, Five Guys, Cumberland Farms, Subway, Dunkin Donuts and a few other places and picked up applications. When I drove by, I pulled up, handed them to him and told him I would be back tomorrow to pick up the COMPLETED applications and drop them off for him if he needed. Then I drove off.

I hope he actually fills them out, God knows all the time he stands there begging he could be actually getting a job, since most these places are hiring and have been.

What have YOU given a beggar?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Replies (51-60):
ChocolateJunky
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I always just gave them food, but that works too.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Nahh. You shouldn't feel guilty for driving on by. A lot of them understand, too, that most people just aren't in a position to help. I rarely ever am. There is a man who walks by daily, and often knocks on doors asking for odd jobs he notices need doing. He's mentally handicapped and unable to get the help he needs. Sometimes I ask him to mow or rake my lawn and give him $10. Sometimes I call him over and give him food. But that's different, you know? I guess what I'm saying is... if you can't help them, don't. But there's nothing wrong with empathizing with their situation, either. 

Quoting amyleigh80:

This guy that I saw had a sign that said "Just lost my job, will take anything".  He truly did look clean.  I do feel for these people, but I am not going to feel guilty if I drive by.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Quoting amyleigh80:

Too weird.  I saw a guy today and I thought the EXACT SAME THING! I thought, "why can't you be filling out apps instead of begging.  A lot of them are NOT homeless.  This guy was clean cut and not dirty looking at all.  It pisses me off.  I have enough trouble saving money of my own.

Maybe they can't work due to a disability or bad history. Not all bums need the help. But a lot of them really do.

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I have given up multiple coats, umbrellas, gloves, etc. to people on the side of the road.  No matter how hard up we are, I can get more.

Quoting NBean311:

This is what I do also, if they appear to be genuinely in need. There is one by my house that is usually fall down drunk... I have trouble justifying giving him anything, after watching him throw away food that someone gave him one day. 

I have given food, gloves, blankets, socks... Anything to help keep them warm and fed. 

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

I've given a beggar meals from McDonalds, bread, peanut butter, and jelly, water, hand warmers, dog food (he had a dog lol). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Exactly what I was thinking

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Are you also going to give him interview clothes, a phone number and a permanent address? If not, you're just an asshole.
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Quoting Bethsunshine:

That sounds good in theory, but unless you also gave him a phone, a home address and decent clothes to wear to an interview, it's not going to change anything.

My husband and kids ( I used to go but haven't in a long time) go to the homeless shelter twice a month to do a chapel service. This shelter has programs to help people find a job. There was a really big tall man there a few years ago, who was trying to find a job, but didn't have decent clothes. My husband, who is also big and tall, looked through his closet for stuff but it was too small so he went to the thrift store and bought a couple of sweaters and things for him. We never saw him after that so hopefully that meant he got a job.

Let me add that I have experience dealing with homeless people and not all of them are lazy beggars or drug addicts. Yes, some are,( not denying that) but some of them have mental illnesses. I have met quite a few of them who are suffering from mental illnesses, and can only stay in the hospital for so long before they throw them out again. They either end up in jail or on the streets.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

DiANAiVELiSSE
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I hope he does fill them in with big ole FU's allover them for you!!

amyleigh80
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I guess it's a difficult topic.  Some of them are truly in need and some are con artists.  How can you decipher? I guess if you give out of kindness than that is that.  It's on him/her if he is conning you.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Right.  Why feel bad for someone desperate enough to stand on a corner and beg for a job?

Quoting amyleigh80:

This guy that I saw had a sign that said "Just lost my job, will take anything".  He truly did look clean.  I do feel for these people, but I am not going to feel guilty if I drive by.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Quoting amyleigh80:

Too weird.  I saw a guy today and I thought the EXACT SAME THING! I thought, "why can't you be filling out apps instead of begging.  A lot of them are NOT homeless.  This guy was clean cut and not dirty looking at all.  It pisses me off.  I have enough trouble saving money of my own.

Maybe they can't work due to a disability or bad history. Not all bums need the help. But a lot of them really do.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:02 PM

That's true.  But they guy you were speaking of - you said he looked clean and well taken care of.  His sign said he just lost his job.  That seems like it should garner at least a little sympathy.  He wasn't asking for money.  He was asking for work.

Quoting amyleigh80:

I guess it's a difficult topic.  Some of them are truly in need and some are con artists.  How can you decipher? I guess if you give out of kindness than that is that.  It's on him/her if he is conning you.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Right.  Why feel bad for someone desperate enough to stand on a corner and beg for a job?

Quoting amyleigh80:

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Quoting amyleigh80:

Momrr
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:02 PM
3 moms liked this

I actually think it was not ok what you did. Even the lowest paying job is not going to give a man a job who needs a shave, haircut, clean clothing, a reliable phone number, transportation...etc...... Maybe a sack with toiletries, pencil, prepaid cell, laundry soap and coins would have been a better step to take.

saycheeze1.com
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I have given food, money, and a bible, as well as food coupons for free meals, you know.. people who don't have employment, and who truely are down on their luck for whatever reason, need people with human compassion, and to be honest... and I hate this fact, human compassion is truely dying in this world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)