Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my 17 month old has two cavities

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I feel like a failure as a mom. His doctor and dentist have told me many times not to let him fall asleep nursing, did I pay attention? No. Now my baby has to be put to sleep and get two fillings. I want to cry.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM
We do. Twice a day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Learn to brush his teeth

Byrd15
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM
This. Both my mom and husband have genetically bad teeth.

Quoting Cbreland07:

Honey my kids have all fallen asleep nursing and don't have cavities.. Some times it's just genetics and you can't do anything about it. You're not a failure as a mom!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
akrall83
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM
You feed your kid. You love him. I assume you don't beat him. He is taken care of. You are not a bad mom. Sometimes these things just happen despite our best efforts. There are a lot of factors that go into what causes tooth decay,like genetics and spacing of the teeth. Don't beat yourself up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nicole4ray
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM
My guess is it was food or genetics. My daughter nursed to sleep until she was 3 years old and has never had a cavity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Then something else is going on with his teeth.

Quoting Anonymous:

We do. Twice a day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Learn to brush his teeth

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I'm afraid my child might too. My child has the biggest sweet tooth and I give in :(
You are not a bad mom
Salsacookies
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM
3 moms liked this

Ask any lactation consultant or any veteran breastfeeding mom. You obviously didn't breastfeed your kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you think this is ok, you're a bad mom too

Quoting Salsacookies:

Falling asleep nursing does not cause cavaties. Nursing babies have different types of suck for different things. There's a suck style just for eating and there's comfort nursing that's a different suck style. If he falls asleep, he's comfort nursing and therefore not getting any milk. Your ped is an idiot and so is anybody that calls you a bad mom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM
My cousin swears bad teeth are hereditary....

Quoting Anonymous:

We do. Twice a day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Learn to brush his teeth

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Learning your lesson after your poor baby has the pain of 2 cavities and the danger of being put under

Quoting Goobieville:

A bad mom is realizing the mistakes you make and not correcting them. A good mom is one who learns from mistakes and makes the corrections. 

clearly OP has learned. Therefore I do not belive she is a bad mom. 

and Anon is still a bitch. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She's not. She's only saying the truth.

Quoting Goobieville:

And you are a bitch for saying that.  

Quoting Anonymous:

You are a bad mom

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Tap water in most places where you get city water has flouride added to it. It is suppposed to help strengthen teeth.
Some people are against it, but as a person who has lived on city tap water for thirty years, I have never been harmed, so I don't know. Maybe someone who has more info can shed light on why.
I would talk to your child's dentist to see what they say regarding flouride and the health of your family's teeth.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)