Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The above photo is me in August with a ring sling that I made for my DD. I am a size 12.

And this is us at the Big E this summer. I weigh LESS now than I do in this photo.

I know for a fact that sizes don't mean S**T. I'm pretty tall, so I know that factors in. Also, body type has a lot to do with it, too. I just hate when people make blanket statements about this sort of thing - One size does not fit all! :-)

ETA: I am 5'9''

I just wanted to add that I am not fishing for compliments - I'm just trying to make a point that just because you are a certain size, be it small OR big, it (by itself) doesn't necessarily mean that you are thin or fat

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Replies (181-190):
La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a PA tell me something similar.  Granted, my BMI was almost a 23 but it was still within normal, and I was working out like mad at the time...I had serious definition and was super proud of my body.  Stupid PA tells me I need to lose 5-7 pounds even though I was within the normal weight range for my height, and most of the weight was from muscle.  Well, that and my big boobs, lol, I can't seem to lose weight there no matter how hard I try.  I estimate they add on about 3-4 pounds , so that doesn't count, lol!  big smile mini

Quoting gofast_mama:

Thank you, he was a new doc and I was in shock when he said that. I run an hour a day and eat fairly healthy.

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se:

You're Dr. is a moron.  Lol.  You're BMI is 21.5, which is perfect by any standards, and by the look of your avatar you are toned and have muscle so most of that is not fat anyway. 

Quoting gofast_mama:

I'm 5'7" and 137lbs and a size four, I was told I should drop ten pounds by my doctor if I really wanted to be healthy....

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM
I was best at size 10, I'm 5'5".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Im a size 7 and I think Im a blimp!

GMom2011
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Body frame has a LOT to do with it. I have wide hips and even in the best shape of my life when I was barely eating (it wasn't sustainable) I was a size 8. There was no chance of me getting smaller than that as its simply my bone structure. I normally fall within a size 10 when I am eating healthy (but not starving) and excercising regularly. I still have some baby pudge in my belly that I'm trying to get rid of (dreaded mother's apron) so right now, simply because of that, I have to wear some size 12s in my pants. Although they hang off my butt and legs. It's annoying. Body structure makes a HUGE difference with sizes.

And there is SO much vanity sizing today! Especially in designer clothes. When Kim Kardashian can claim to be a 2, Jennifer Hudson a 0? Come on... I guarantee Kim Kardashian can't get her huge ass into my size 10 pants and button them. NOT a chance. And Jennifer Hudson looks great, but she's no size zero! A six or eight, sure, but no 0. That's part of the problem right there, the vanity sizing....

cricketdawn81
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I'd kill to be your size

gofast_mama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

People suck I had just got to the point too where I was super proud of my body and got it where I wanted it, then bam dude told me to lose weight. I figure my implants add about four pounds lol, whatever I love my body and I am very happy with it. I think that's what matters the most!  I know I got my dads genetics too where I can build muscle very fast, my legs look ripped and I only run lol.

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se:

I had a PA tell me something similar.  Granted, my BMI was almost a 23 but it was still within normal, and I was working out like mad at the time...I had serious definition and was super proud of my body.  Stupid PA tells me I need to lose 5-7 pounds even though I was within the normal weight range for my height, and most of the weight was from muscle.  Well, that and my big boobs, lol, I can't seem to lose weight there no matter how hard I try.  I estimate they add on about 3-4 pounds , so that doesn't count, lol!  big smile mini

Quoting gofast_mama:

Thank you, he was a new doc and I was in shock when he said that. I run an hour a day and eat fairly healthy.

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se:

You're Dr. is a moron.  Lol.  You're BMI is 21.5, which is perfect by any standards, and by the look of your avatar you are toned and have muscle so most of that is not fat anyway. 

Quoting gofast_mama:

I'm 5'7" and 137lbs and a size four, I was told I should drop ten pounds by my doctor if I really wanted to be healthy....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

for a short person like me, yes size 12 is fat. 

gofast_mama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Quoting GMom2011:

Body frame has a LOT to do with it. I have wide hips and even in the best shape of my life when I was barely eating (it wasn't sustainable) I was a size 8. There was no chance of me getting smaller than that as its simply my bone structure. I normally fall within a size 10 when I am eating healthy (but not starving) and excercising regularly. I still have some baby pudge in my belly that I'm trying to get rid of (dreaded mother's apron) so right now, simply because of that, I have to wear some size 12s in my pants. Although they hang off my butt and legs. It's annoying. Body structure makes a HUGE difference with sizes.

And there is SO much vanity sizing today! Especially in designer clothes. When Kim Kardashian can claim to be a 2, Jennifer Hudson a 0? Come on... I guarantee Kim Kardashian can't get her huge ass into my size 10 pants and button them. NOT a chance. And Jennifer Hudson looks great, but she's no size zero! A six or eight, sure, but no 0. That's part of the problem right there, the vanity sizing....

Exactly! There is no "standard" sizing, I have pants that go from 0-6 it's really hard to find stuff that fits. 

GMom2011
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Which in the 50's was a size 6-8. She was never a size 14 by today's sizes. I HATE when people use Marilyn Monroe as an example. Just like the I Love Lucy episode of her wanting to fit into a size "12" dress, which then would have a "6 or 8"

Sized today are so different. Dress sizes back in the 50's had larger numbers, more in line with European sizing.

Quoting MIAOFTALAMASCA:

Marilyn Monroe went back and forth from a size 14 to 16.  Its all in the attitude sweety. But you're not fat at all, I think you're perfect....

Icpjuggalette
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I am a 16, i wish i was a 12, i am 5 feet so i guess that makes a difference, lol. You look just fine:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)