Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

4th grade Algebra?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  • 42 Replies

I was going over my son's math homework, and I noticed that the work they're doing isn't just pre-algebra, but the type of work I learned in Algebra I at the very least, and possibly Algebra II.

He's in fourth grade. I had absolutely no idea they started it this early. I was in the higher level math class in school, and we didn't start pre-algebra until 6-7th grade.

Is this typical for schools? I am genuinely curious. It just shocked me a bit that they're moving so quickly through math.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM
PEMDAS is very common for 4 th grade, even 3 rd may be exposed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

PEMDAS is very common for 4 th grade, even 3 rd may be exposed.

Well, that's good to hear.

What about Algebra I and II level math?

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I was surprised that my daughter had the term "commutative property" in her third grade math book, but kids start learning "algebra" in kindy or first grade. 

Johnny has two apples and his friend gives him three apples. How many apples does he have? Five apples.

That's the same as...

2x + 3x = 5x

Quoting Cymbeline:

I was going over my son's math homework, and I noticed that the work they're doing isn't just pre-algebra, but the type of work I learned in Algebra I at the very least, and possibly Algebra II. He learned about PEMDAS in the beginning of the year.

He's in fourth grade. I had absolutely no idea they started it this early. I was in the higher level math class in school, and we didn't start pre-algebra until 6-7th grade.

Is this typical for schools? I am genuinely curious. It just shocked me a bit that they're moving so quickly through math.

MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Kindergarten here! Bump!

jakesmom323
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I couldn't even do Algebra in college. I'm totally screwed if my kids are doing it in elementary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Algebraic thinking is a common core math standard. Kids use algebra as early as Kindergarten: 2 + ___ = 6. You just typically don't see ideas like have letters to represent the unknown until middle school.
Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Pre-algebra, yes, but not high school level. Lol

Quoting MichelleSw:

Kindergarten here! Bump!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cymbeline:

Pre-algebra, yes, but not high school level. Lol

Quoting MichelleSw:

Kindergarten here! Bump!

sorry LOL I meant all I have is a Kindergartener LMAO

Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I've seen that, and that's a good prelude to algebra. I had to edit this because I read your reply incorrectly at first. I was attempting to walk and read on mobile at the same time; I'm not the most coordinated person, so that wasn't a good idea. lol

I have found out, though, that they're moving the advanced classes now faster than they have in the past. He had done this level of math in gifted last year, but this is the first I've seen it in the classroom.

I suddenly feel old

Quoting honeyrder:

I was surprised that my daughter had the term "commutative property" in her third grade math book, but kids start learning "algebra" in kindy or first grade. 

Johnny has two apples and his friend gives him three apples. How many apples does he have? Five apples.

That's the same as...

2x + 3x = 5x

Quoting Cymbeline:

I was going over my son's math homework, and I noticed that the work they're doing isn't just pre-algebra, but the type of work I learned in Algebra I at the very least, and possibly Algebra II. He learned about PEMDAS in the beginning of the year.

Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM
True.
I suppose I just found it off that they were doing more involved algebra in 4th grade.

It makes me feel a bit old; things have changed quite a bit.

Quoting momtolittleg:

Algebraic thinking is a common core math standard. Kids use algebra as early as Kindergarten: 2 + ___ = 6. You just typically don't see ideas like have letters to represent the unknown until middle school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)