Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was going over my son's math homework, and I noticed that the work they're doing isn't just pre-algebra, but the type of work I learned in Algebra I at the very least, and possibly Algebra II.

He's in fourth grade. I had absolutely no idea they started it this early. I was in the higher level math class in school, and we didn't start pre-algebra until 6-7th grade.

Is this typical for schools? I am genuinely curious. It just shocked me a bit that they're moving so quickly through math.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
LucyHarper
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM

They're doing it in my ten year old brothers class, so I guess so.

stressedmama24
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM
I was in "special" classes in 4th&5th grade for advanced kids. We did algebra 1 in 4th grade. I cant remember what those classes were called to save my life! So maybe it is that ur child is advances academically! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cowboysgirl3227
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

My daughter is in 5th grade and has been doing algebra since last year and a little in 3rd.  I was helping her with some of her homework the  other night and it was almost exactly what I was working on in my college level class LOL.  She was very grateful I could help her and so was I.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM
yep. Luckily DS rocks in math. They are doing some type of algorithims(or whatever) He is in 4th. I HATE math.
Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

My daughter is in 5th grade and has been doing algebra since last year and a little in 3rd.  I was helping her with some of her homework the  other night and it was almost exactly what I was working on in my college level class LOL.  She was very grateful I could help her and so was I.

I'm glad it's not just me. lol Things have changed so much in a relatively short period of time.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I didn't feel like my daughter should have been learning about algebraic terms in third grade. I do feel like she should be able to think algebraically. She's not about it at all, though. Sad face for me. I love it. I wish she did, but I didn't at her age, either. 

Quoting Cymbeline:

I dont mean pre-algebra.

I have found out, though, that they're moving the advanced classes now faster than they have in the past. He had done this level of math in gifted last year, but this is the first I've seen it in the classroom.

I suddenly feel old

Quoting honeyrder:

I was surprised that my daughter had the term "commutative property" in her third grade math book, but kids start learning "algebra" in kindy or first grade. 

Johnny has two apples and his friend gives him three apples. How many apples does he have? Five apples.

That's the same as...

2x + 3x = 5x

Quoting Cymbeline:

I was going over my son's math homework, and I noticed that the work they're doing isn't just pre-algebra, but the type of work I learned in Algebra I at the very least, and possibly Algebra II. He learned about PEMDAS in the beginning of the year.

He's in fourth grade. I had absolutely no idea they started it this early. I was in the higher level math class in school, and we didn't start pre-algebra until 6-7th grade.

Is this typical for schools? I am genuinely curious. It just shocked me a bit that they're moving so quickly through math.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM
[quote name="Cymbeline" id="0"][/quote
Yea they have. I'm a teacher, and hell, things change every MONTH it seems. It's hard to keep up!
Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

yep. Luckily DS rocks in math. They are doing some type of algorithims(or whatever) He is in 4th. I HATE math.

I hate math too! It's so incredibly boring.. blech

Both of my boys love math and are math whizes. I demand a maternity test... lol It's odd how our children can be so different from us.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM
I recently subbed in a 4-6 classroom at a Montessori school. I had to help a kid figure out x.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Quoting momtolittleg:

[quote name="Cymbeline" id="0"][/quote
Yea they have. I'm a teacher, and hell, things change every MONTH it seems. It's hard to keep up!

It's as if they can't make up their minds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN