Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was going over my son's math homework, and I noticed that the work they're doing isn't just pre-algebra, but the type of work I learned in Algebra I at the very least, and possibly Algebra II.

He's in fourth grade. I had absolutely no idea they started it this early. I was in the higher level math class in school, and we didn't start pre-algebra until 6-7th grade.

Is this typical for schools? I am genuinely curious. It just shocked me a bit that they're moving so quickly through math.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
.Funfetti.
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Algebra is my enemy, so if kids are learning it this early I'm so fucked lol. 

My oldest is in K5, so nothing to fear....yet

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

You know what's driving my 4th grader a bit crazy? They teach them like 15 different ways to solve the problem.

Like right now he is doing large number multiplication and division. Tonights paper was the 6th different way to do the work. I remember leaning to multiply the long way. Now they teach that last lol.

Poor kid is getting so confused I told him tonight to do it the way he knows how. He got them all correct and it wasn't such a long drawn out battle.

I think in some ways, that can be helpful, as it teaches them to be critical thinkers. That being said, I think they should wait until they teach the kid one method well. If they don't have time to learn the first, they'll certainly struggle with the rest.

The education system is in a sorry state right now, and it's definitely not the fault of the teachers.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

My third grades love math. We dance, sing, play games, and move around constantly. They use the math terminology with ease and understanding because it is what I use when I teach. I introduce it, explain the meaning, give them hand motions to help with comprehension, and then have them put it in their own words. We then use the math terms from there on out. I just remind them, "we're mathematicians and use mathematical terms."

I had to leave for a doctor's appointment the other day right before math block, and my kids begged me to stay when the sub came in. They told me the next day that I'm not allowed to leave during math. Haha. I love math and my kids do too. It makes my heart happy!

Quoting Cymbeline:

I agree with your first sentences completely. I feel the same way.

I think for most kids, math is a bit like a chore, even if they do really well. Maybe she'll love it when she gets older.

Quoting honeyrder:

I didn't feel like my daughter should have been learning about algebraic terms in third grade. I do feel like she should be able to think algebraically. She's not about it at all, though. Sad face for me. I love it. I wish she did, but I didn't at her age, either. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM
That's not algebra...that's just a word problem involving addition. Your x's stand for nothing in that 'equation'. This is coming from a middle school math teacher.

Quoting honeyrder:

I was surprised that my daughter had the term "commutative property" in her third grade math book, but kids start learning "algebra" in kindy or first grade. 

Johnny has two apples and his friend gives him three apples. How many apples does he have? Five apples.

That's the same as...

2x + 3x = 5x

Quoting Cymbeline:

I was going over my son's math homework, and I noticed that the work they're doing isn't just pre-algebra, but the type of work I learned in Algebra I at the very least, and possibly Algebra II. He learned about PEMDAS in the beginning of the year.

He's in fourth grade. I had absolutely no idea they started it this early. I was in the higher level math class in school, and we didn't start pre-algebra until 6-7th grade.

Is this typical for schools? I am genuinely curious. It just shocked me a bit that they're moving so quickly through math.

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My kids go to a private school that works at a slower, more thorough pace. 

Is it secular or religion based?

While I'm not averse to my children learning religion, I'd rather not send them to a religious private school, because I want the focus on academics. There don't seem to be anything but Catholic schools within a decent driving distance of my home. :/

I like that private schools, most at least, teach with critical thinking skills in mind, rather than just cramming before standardized testing.

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM

My second grader loves math as well, but my fourth grader seems to just do it because he must.

I love your ideas for making it fun. Perhaps I'll have to try some. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

My third grades love math. We dance, sing, play games, and move around constantly. They use the math terminology with ease and understanding because it is what I use when I teach. I introduce it, explain the meaning, give them hand motions to help with comprehension, and then have them put it in their own words. We then use the math terms from there on out. I just remind them, "we're mathematicians and use mathematical terms."

I had to leave for a doctor's appointment the other day right before math block, and my kids begged me to stay when the sub came in. They told me the next day that I'm not allowed to leave during math. Haha. I love math and my kids do too. It makes my heart happy!

Quoting Cymbeline:

I agree with your first sentences completely. I feel the same way.

I think for most kids, math is a bit like a chore, even if they do really well. Maybe she'll love it when she gets older.

Quoting honeyrder:

I didn't feel like my daughter should have been learning about algebraic terms in third grade. I do feel like she should be able to think algebraically. She's not about it at all, though. Sad face for me. I love it. I wish she did, but I didn't at her age, either. 

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

They're religion based.

Quoting Cymbeline:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My kids go to a private school that works at a slower, more thorough pace. 

Is it secular or religion based?

While I'm not averse to my children learning religion, I'd rather not send them to a religious private school, because I want the focus on academics. There don't seem to be anything but Catholic schools within a decent driving distance of my home. :/

I like that private schools, most at least, teach with critical thinking skills in mind, rather than just cramming before standardized testing.

cowboysgirl3227
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM

They really have changed.  I don't remember doing algebra that young, but honestly I wish I would have because maybe I would not have struggled with it so much in high school.

Quoting Cymbeline:

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

My daughter is in 5th grade and has been doing algebra since last year and a little in 3rd.  I was helping her with some of her homework the  other night and it was almost exactly what I was working on in my college level class LOL.  She was very grateful I could help her and so was I.

I'm glad it's not just me. lol Things have changed so much in a relatively short period of time.

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I also think they should start foreign language classes in elementary school.

By the time we get to high school, it's so much more difficult to learn another language.

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

They really have changed.  I don't remember doing algebra that young, but honestly I wish I would have because maybe I would not have struggled with it so much in high school.

Quoting Cymbeline:

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

My daughter is in 5th grade and has been doing algebra since last year and a little in 3rd.  I was helping her with some of her homework the  other night and it was almost exactly what I was working on in my college level class LOL.  She was very grateful I could help her and so was I.

I'm glad it's not just me. lol Things have changed so much in a relatively short period of time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't feel bad. My daughter's 4th grade teacher teaches the gifted kids in his class Singapore math. He tried to show it to me & I just looked at him like he was crazy lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)