Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was going over my son's math homework, and I noticed that the work they're doing isn't just pre-algebra, but the type of work I learned in Algebra I at the very least, and possibly Algebra II.

He's in fourth grade. I had absolutely no idea they started it this early. I was in the higher level math class in school, and we didn't start pre-algebra until 6-7th grade.

Is this typical for schools? I am genuinely curious. It just shocked me a bit that they're moving so quickly through math.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (41-42):
cowboysgirl3227
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I completely agree.  The school my daughter went to they started teaching them Spanish in Kindergarten.  She was doing pretty good too, then we had to move :(  The older you get the harder it is to learn.

Quoting Cymbeline:

I agree. I also think they should start foreign language classes in elementary school.

By the time we get to high school, it's so much more difficult to learn another language.

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

They really have changed.  I don't remember doing algebra that young, but honestly I wish I would have because maybe I would not have struggled with it so much in high school.

Quoting Cymbeline:

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

My daughter is in 5th grade and has been doing algebra since last year and a little in 3rd.  I was helping her with some of her homework the  other night and it was almost exactly what I was working on in my college level class LOL.  She was very grateful I could help her and so was I.

I'm glad it's not just me. lol Things have changed so much in a relatively short period of time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The human brain is wired to learn language from brith to about eight years old. After that the synapses that are meant for language acquisition begin to fire more slowly and deminish iin number. It is possible to learn a language after this point it is just harder and not as effective. 

Quoting Cymbeline:

I agree. I also think they should start foreign language classes in elementary school.

By the time we get to high school, it's so much more difficult to learn another language.

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

They really have changed.  I don't remember doing algebra that young, but honestly I wish I would have because maybe I would not have struggled with it so much in high school.

Quoting Cymbeline:

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

My daughter is in 5th grade and has been doing algebra since last year and a little in 3rd.  I was helping her with some of her homework the  other night and it was almost exactly what I was working on in my college level class LOL.  She was very grateful I could help her and so was I.

I'm glad it's not just me. lol Things have changed so much in a relatively short period of time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)